[SOLVED] Can someone please help me out.? :/ PC rebooting cant even load up a game. Even changed the motherboard ! :/

deepak_fletcher

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
So my previous system was a ryzen 5 1400 with an gtx 1050ti 32gb G.skill CL16-18-18-18-38 and it was running at 3200Mhz on XMP on a b350 gaming pro. after putting in a RTX 3060Ti I had to replace the motherboard to an Aorus elite b450 because the PC was shutting down on heavy load due to GPU which the motherboard was not able to handle. After getting the new board within a few days the ethernet port was not working i didn't see this as a big issue so i went along as i had a wifi pcie adapter in here that supported 5Ghz network and my router is just a few feet away from it, Still i ordered a Pcie ethernet adapter... This is where the issue started... when i game if i had ethernet plugged in the PC would shut down, no BSOD, nothing.. just turns off... after this i started using wifi and that issue was never encountered. ram was running fine at 3200Mhz too. recently i upgraded to the ryzen 5 3600

THIS is were the real issue started i booted in and set XMP to 3200. First game PC just turned off. I put it back at 2133 and it was playing finr.. so i went and manually adjusted speed to 3200 and adjusted the voltage and timings myself and and ran memtest and it was fine so i went about using my pc as usual... i ran the pc whole night.. played a lot of apex matches, a lil fortnite and GTA 5 and about 24hrs later it again randomly shut down... i rebooted without changing ram speed back to 2133 and got back into apex and it shutdown immediately again(its a shut down not a reboot okay). i changed speed back to 2133 in bios put voltage to auto and it runs again. then again i set it back on 3200mhz.. again ran for about 12-15hrs doing multiple tasks. and again same thing happens out of nowhere it shut down. What could be causing this issue? Does it have something to do with the motherboard.. considering it showed previos similar behavior with ethernet after the inbuilt ethernet port failed.

Back when i had the b350 board i had ruled out all other components from being faulty by stress testing them on a h410 (I thought the 3060ti was the issue at first but it ran furmark for a whole night when on the h410 with the gigabyte PSU) motherboard including the PSU.

The PSU is a gigabyte P650B 80+ Bronze one.

But the thing i don't understand is why it was only shutting down after hours of use on a higher frequency but once it shuts down on a certain frequency, it keeps on doing that as soon as i restart PC and start a game(with the same frequency) and only runs normally when i put ram back to 2133Mhz.

2133Mhz never turns the PC off though. Right now I'm down to either the RAM or the motherboard right? but then again at 3200Mhz i was able to run memtest completely fine. Its really confusing what's causing the issue. and at 2133mhz pc never shuts down even on long terms of gaming. so that rules out the PSU too.
But then there were those previous shutdowns that used to happen that i mentioned about while having ethernet plugged in.

Now after all that kinda making a gut feeling move the new b450 aorus board was also faulty since it turns off only on XMP i bought a new back to MSI B550 Gaming plus...and now i am having the same issue i had with the b350 gaming plus board.. i cant even load up a game, no stress/benchmarks load. What should i do guys.? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S: I shifted to the b450 board in december, The b450 board does shut down but only once in a few days while at 2133mhz ram speed and very frequently while at anything higher i have been using the b450 aorus and gaming on it since tecember till yesterday, my plan was to shift to b550 rma the 450 and sell it.. But the b550 board shuts down immediatly if i load something power hungry, just like the b350 which means the b350 was fine. Something else was the cause of the issue

Solution
This:

"But the b550 board shuts down immediatly if i load something power hungry, just like the b350 which means the b350 was fine. Something else was the cause of the issue "

and

"The PSU is a gigabyte P650B 80+ Bronze one. "

= = = =

My thought is that the PSU will work without issue until some threshold power demand (wattage) is needed. At that threshold wattage the PSU falters.

Primarily when RAM is at 3200 MHz but likewise perhaps at 2133 MHz depending on the overall system load at the time.

All the more so for a low end or no name PSU.

Look in Reliability History. Multiple and varying error codes (especially those that correspond to your changes in RAM frequency would make the PSU suspect.

Use the following link to...

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"But the b550 board shuts down immediatly if i load something power hungry, just like the b350 which means the b350 was fine. Something else was the cause of the issue "

and

= = = =

My thought is that the PSU will work without issue until some threshold power demand (wattage) is needed. At that threshold wattage the PSU falters.

Primarily when RAM is at 3200 MHz but likewise perhaps at 2133 MHz depending on the overall system load at the time.

Look in Reliability History. Multiple and varying error codes (especially those that correspond to your changes in RAM frequency would make the PSU suspect.

Use the following link to run 2 or 3 of the power calculators.

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Also do your own manual total and add 20%.

If any component has a range of wattage values use the high end wattage value.

Solution

deepak_fletcher

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
This:

and

= = = =

Use the following link to run 2 or 3 of the power calculators.

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Also do your own manual total and add 20%.

If any component has a range of wattage values use the high end wattage value.
Okay thank you!! Lemme check the total wattage out. I did check in Reliability history all it shows is the last shut down was unexpected and in the even viewer, kernel-power critical event all the codes have value 0. I will keep this thread updated . I'll see if i can test with another PSU too.

deepak_fletcher

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Agree with you there.

This is a known issue for a lot of PSU's when running RTX cards. They are often not up to the task fast load changes with big spikes in maybe 100-150w from base. This leads to random restarts.

I borrowed my cousins PSU for testing, it was indeed the PSU. Swapped the PSU for a new one and now its running fine. thanks a lot guys.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead