Question Can someone please help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2021
I got a hp laptop motherboard off of a sale for very cheap but without the case i want to power it on but the power switch is broken
20211028_152054.jpg
20211028_152038.jpg
20211028_152028.jpg

And what do expect to do with just a motherboard? It's useless without a display panel, keyboard, memory, drive & various other bits and bobs that actually make it bootable/usable. And, already having a broken switch doesn't bode well for the rest of the device.

I got a hp laptop motherboard off of a sale for very cheap but without the case i want to power it on but the power switch is broken
20211028_152054.jpg
Is the power switch broken? or the jack where the PSU ("brick") connects (that thing in your hand on the top picture) broken? or the point where it attaches to the motherboard missing entirely? Even if the brick is attached it might not power up without a battery attached. And it looks to be missing a lithium coin cell (there's an empty holder) which I figure is CMOS battery.

One of those and countless other possibilities I have to imagine. That's what troubleshooting is all about...isolating the problem.

That motherboard looks...crusty...to say the least. Probably not worth looking for the other hardware to finish up building it into a working system so if you don't have it already (a non-working appropriate model laptop) it's really only good for tacking to the wall as part of a modern techno-art display.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tonyxforce
Oct 28, 2021
And what do expect to do with just a motherboard? It's useless without a display panel, keyboard, memory, drive & various other bits and bobs that actually make it bootable/usable. And, already having a broken switch doesn't bode well for the rest of the device.
Im firstly tring just to make the cpu fan spin up and after i can connect display, keyboard, mouse, boot hdd/ssd/pendrive

Oct 28, 2021
Is the power switch broken? or the jack where the PSU ("brick") connects (that thing in your hand on the top picture) broken? or the point where it attaches to the motherboard missing entirely? Even if the brick is attached it might not power up without a battery attached. And it looks to be missing a lithium coin cell (there's an empty holder) which I figure is CMOS battery.

One of those and countless other possibilities I have to imagine. That's what troubleshooting is all about...isolating the problem.

That motherboard looks...crusty...to say the least. Probably not worth looking for the other hardware to finish up building it into a working system so if you don't have it already (a non-working appropriate model laptop) it's really only good for tacking to the wall as part of a modern techno-art display.
The cable from the motherboard to the power button has missing pins
20211028_182748.jpg
20211028_182741.jpg
20211028_182725.jpg

Oct 28, 2021

And i tried it with the cmos bat in it it didnt work

Oct 28, 2021
Edit: i managed to power it on i just needed a bigger cmos i shorted the power button pins and some seconds later a led flashed for like a tenth of a sec( im thinking that before the flash it would beep if it had a beeper in it

Oct 28, 2021
But you DO need RAM. Which this one seems to be currently lacking.

And without a display, how does one know whether it is "working"? A spinning fan =/= working.
I wasnt even sure if the board even powers ona and doesnt just straight up short out the psu
and ive found some compatible ram(4 or 8 gogs of ddr3) and ill buy it tomorrow and ill update here

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS