Question Can someone please tell me what is happening to my PC!?

Mar 17, 2022
Can someone please help me understand why this is happening when I play Cod:warzone? I know the game is poorly optimized but if this wasnt as isolated to a my PC problem a huge player base would be complaining about it because the game is unplayable when this happens every 30 seconds or more. Randomly in game its starts having these HARD frame stutters. You can see it in the linked image below, anywhere you see the GPU usage, CPU usage and power draws on them dip in sync with each other.
I've contacted Nvidia, gigabyte, geek squad. Ive exchanged my GPU from a 1660ti to a 3060ti. I replaced my PSU. Ive optimized Warzone, nvidia control panel. Ive lowered settings, raised settings trying to find some kind of sweet spot. Ive increased CPU & chassis fan speeds to try and reduce temps. Nothing has worked for weeks and I am losing my mind as I have limited time to work on solving this. Even Nvidia just rolled out a driver update TODAY, as well as Warzone, neither made a difference. I also have been struggling to find any relevant support in forums on recent equipment with similar issues.
My specs are:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming
Nvidia Gigabyte 1660ti(also testing this stuff with a friends borrowed 3060ti)
16gb 3200mhz RAM
1TB Nvme SSD
850W Coolmaster Gold PSU

View this link for an image of my MSI hardware monitoring to see the issues.
https://ibb.co/DtmvDLm

Mar 17, 2022
First I'd like to appreciate the responses I apologize it took so long to get back. After doing errands and then testing some of what was mentioned I have answers for all:

can you try first cleanboot?
This is directly after following the guide of that link. Rebooting and ONLY starting Warzone. I played multiple games all showing the issue still at random intervals
https://ibb.co/BPLSvkC
Ever looked at this?
Also you have the latest bios?
Yes I have come across what that video says to do. I have it at 6. Ive also heard to change the videomemscale, couldn't seem to get the desired removal of the issue manipulating either one.
It turns out I did not have the latest BIOS. After updating to the latest BIOS and doing the clean boot and running warzone, its still has the same effect(see my jpg link above)

Also if you have not, remove and reinstall the Nvidia driver using the DDU tool.
As for the uninstall driver with DDU and re-install. I did like 1 month ago(Ive had this issue for 3 or so months. When it first started to happen. I rolled driver back to a 497.xx from like Oct. 2021, had no effect. So I used DDU uninstalled and re-installed to 512.29 when it released. And now just yesterday I updated the driver to 512.79. Do you think it is worth doing again and would render a different result?

My CPU temp does run between 70-85c under warzone's load. It was 85c yesterday when I had the 3060ti in + all the supposed bloatware/apps my PC has, but today with the 1660ti back in it stayed between 70-80c (this is after clean boot). I read that max before I should worry is 95c. But could this be internally throttling due to overheating? I am only running the stock cooler the AMD CPU comes with as I don't overclock or purchase any advanced hardware that would tax it. I have had a friend mention reducing the voltage to lower temp, but I have no idea what I can lower voltage to safely or if its even relevant. voltage is currently 1.25V I believe.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022
I have tried to look into undervolting i think? This and a GPU BIOS is a little out of my depth of knowledge. But I can't seem to find much on exactly what a safe range is... are there other downsides to lowering the voltage? and how would I distinguish my GPU BIOS and is there anything relevant in this I can change? and how would I find out if its up to date/update it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Thew gpu bios is likely not relevant looking again since you also had issues with the 3060 ti, but would need to know exactly what Gigabyte card you have since there are more versions,
https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Graphics-Card/NVIDIA-Series

The mayor risk of undervolting is instability, so there are more than one tutorial about undervolting Ryzen, look at these and give it a try. Use some tool like Aida 64 (free for one month) to seee if the system keeps stable, Cinebench23 also taxes the cpu quite heavily.

Maybe you could make a log, see if it can make clear what happens when you have the stutters?

How to make a log,

download hwinfo64,
install and open it,
check "sensors-only",
click "run",
at the bottom of the window click "logging start",
choose a name and place for the log like "hwinfolog" at the "desktop",
this log can be viewed/opened with either excel from Microsoft or libre office calc.
you can upload it onto a site which facilitates this like SaberCatHost this one i like since not so much (or any) spam comes with it and does not require a log in to get the info.
Just make one until this happens like you described.

Se if this sheds some more light on what is happening in your pc, those give a limited info. If you let FRAPS run while testing should it record the FPS as well.

Mar 17, 2022
would need to know exactly what Gigabyte card you have since there are more versions,
https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Graphics-Card/NVIDIA-Series
This is my exact card model : https://www.gigabyte.com/nl/Graphics-Card/GV-N166TOC-6GD#kf
I returned my friends 3060ti after deciding it was not whats causing the problem.

Sorry, so what are you asking me to make a log of? the cinebench CPU stress test? or log the gameplay when the stuttering happens? I will get it done asap and post when i know what youd like to see.

Mar 17, 2022
Alright, So I looked up some videos for undervolting. It was fairly easy actually and they said not much risk doing it through the PBO. I changed the curve optimizer magnitude to its max(30) which as I understand reduces voltage by 90-150mV. I ran Cod and it froze/crashed the PC twice. Reduced the magnitude to 10, everything seems to be running smoothly no more crashes but didn't seem to make a significant difference in gameplay regarding stuttering.

I ran hwinfo64, here are the links with the results as well as the hardware monitoring screenshot of the instance showing that the issue was still happening. I do have FRAPS in there as well.

https://sabercathost.com/a1n8/hwinfolog_Cod_clash__test2.CSV
https://sabercathost.com/a1n7/Cod_test_with_HWinfo.jpg

May 6, 2022
Alright, So I looked up some videos for undervolting. It was fairly easy actually and they said not much risk doing it through the PBO. I changed the curve optimizer magnitude to its max(30) which as I understand reduces voltage by 90-150mV. I ran Cod and it froze/crashed the PC twice. Reduced the magnitude to 10, everything seems to be running smoothly no more crashes but didn't seem to make a significant difference in gameplay regarding stuttering.

I ran hwinfo64, here are the links with the results as well as the hardware monitoring screenshot of the instance showing that the issue was still happening. I do have FRAPS in there as well.

https://sabercathost.com/a1n8/hwinfolog_Cod_clash__test2.CSV
https://sabercathost.com/a1n7/Cod_test_with_HWinfo.jpg
Hey, So I was having very Similar experience. So I had to completely Do a clean installed of the NVIDIA Driver 511.79. Both the 512 versions would cause all my games to lag running about 3-5 frames. You might give it a go and see if that works for you.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Am looking at the log and see nothing unusual at the moment, but see a thread with the same issues,
so maybe it is driver related. Try a driver from a few months old and see how that works.

Will look further on the log.

Mar 17, 2022
511.79 didnt seem to make a difference, I did use DDU for Uninstaller and install while disconnected from internet.
I was on a cod streamers live chat and a viewer brought up stuttering. Whilst the streamer with a 3090ti said he doesn't experience it, many viewers mentioned they have, and I chimed in about it and a viewer mentioned using driver 472.12. I rolled back again to this one and its worked arguably the best of any driver to a point.
I have had the best experience in months for most time played before the stutters started to happen(1.5-2h) before I had to restart the game. However with this old driver my playable times FPS suffers. I no longer get to experience 100-120fps, the old driver was averaging a consistent 75-90fps. Its frustrating that I have paid for upgrades to try and get higher fps out of my gameplay, YET this issue is hamstringing it and rendering all my efforts and money spent useless.
I bought a 144hz monitor(used to play on a 60hz monitor) and last year purchased pretty much 90% of this new PC.
Also an odd occurrence ive never seen before but is happening on this old driver, when im in menu and loading screens im seeing my in-game fps monitor skyrocketing to 700-900fps. Never seen that on any of the new drivers when in game settings were set to unlimited fps, and when thr numbers are shooting thst high there is no spike in GPU temp or anything.

Last edited: