Can someone recommend a UPS?

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
Hi all,

Can someone recommend a UPS for my system (full parts list below). I've been trying to search through Google to understand what type of UPS and how many Watts and/or Volts it should be, but I still can't get a clear understanding of how powerful a UPS I really need.

All I'm really looking for is a UPS to protect against brown-outs and automatically shutdown my PC in the event of a blackout. I invested heavily in a building a gaming PC w/ 3 monitors for my flight sim hobby (my wife may not call it that!). I am concerned that one thunderstorm or random brownout (which we don't get frequently to be honest) could damage or destroy the system.

If someone could recommend a UPS that would give my PC the ability to immediately shutdown on it's own in the event of power loss and protect against power fluctuations, I would REALLY appreciate it. I've been banging my head against a wall for a while on this.

(By the way - I would only hook up 1 monitor to the UPS, not all 3; for what that's worth.)

Full parts list:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter
Case: Azza Hurrican 2000R ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer
Monitor: Asus VE278Q 27.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech MK320 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse
Speakers: Logitech Z623 200W 2.1ch Speakers

Solution

My CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD has worked flawlessly in the three years that I've owned it.

The draw on the UPS is 189 Watts with an...
As a maker of UPS devices, I have always liked APC.
They will have a calculator to help size what you need.
Unless you need extensive up time, 5 minutes should let you gracefully shut down the pc in the event of a full outage.
They have a free app "POWERCHUTE" that will shut you down if the pc is unattended.

There will be two factors.

The va rating to know what you need to run, then the battery capacity to determine how long you can run on battery only.

I find that the UPS simply rides through those momentary spikes likd a lightning power surge.
I use a backups pro 1500, but that may not be what you need.
See my sig for what it runs.

When my APC Back-UPS XS 1300 blew a capacitor (i.e. I dismantled the UPS and verified the component failure since it was out of warranty) I bought one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19W

My i7-4790K system uses a Corsair HX750 power supply unit. When using the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD I don't hear the humming/groaning noises that the APC Back-UPS XS 1300 would produce when switching over to battery backup mode.

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for the replies everyone! My apologies for the delay in responding - it has been a crazy week.

I checked out the APC calculator. The Best Value option was: https://amzn.com/B0038ZU2FC

Would this seem reasonable to support a gaming PC with my power supply and allow enough time for a graceful shutdown? Just want to see if there is anything obviously wrong or something that I may be overlooking with this choice. Thanks!

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

This was actually the first UPS system I was looking at, but my understanding was that this model did not support the Active PFC feature of the Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (which we both seem to have)?

How does it not support APFC when it is specifically designed for that purpose?
61LFS7-MLKL._SL1000_.jpg

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Ahh, my mistake. I went back through some emails - I had asked CyberPower about the CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD model (https://amzn.com/B000FBK3QK), which they said was not compatible with the PSU you and I both use. Sorry about that.

So overall, you have been happy with the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD? About how much run-time do you get when the power goes out (and what is pulling from it)? Just trying to see if the 1350 or 1000VA models would suffice for my needs.

Thanks for your help. Sorry for the confusion!

EDIT: Also, is it considered wise to test this UPS by just unplugging power from the wall?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have a Minuteman 700 Pro. Damn thing is 11 years old now, so old it's connected to pc via DB-9M serial port (yes, ancient!). Still runs great, battery gets replaced every 2 years or so, costs @$20. It's powering main monitor, pc, 40w desk lamp. Testing gives me almost 4 minutes. It's small enough that it actually sits inside a drawer of my desk. Initial cost 11 years ago was $4 at a Goodwill, of course the battery was shot. Considering all that it's been through over the years, gotta say, it's probably saved my pc many times over. Best investment I ever made.

My CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD has worked flawlessly in the three years that I've owned it.

The draw on the UPS is 189 Watts with an estimated battery runtime of 35 minutes.

What I have connected to the UPS is an i7-4790K system with a GeForce GTX 970 graphics card, two SSDs and four 7200 RPM HDDs, a 30 inch 2560x1600 IPS display panel, a router, a broadband modem and a set of powered speakers.

At system idle the total AC power draw is 189 Watts. During gaming the AC power draw is 324 Watts with an estimated battery runtime of 20 minutes.

Solution

CmdrRiker

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

Thanks for the info and your review. You sold me! I just ordered the CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD PFC Sinewave UPS 1500VA 900W PFC Compatible Mini-Tower. Looking forward to setting it up and not worrying about my gaming PC every time it's overcast outside :)

Can I ask two very quick and somewhat related questions?

1. How do people test their UPS system? Is it considered safe to just pull the plug from the wall with your computer running and see what happens, or is there a better way?

2. Do people generally buy a UPS for their TV/gaming consoles or is a surge protector generally considered adequate?

Again, very many thanks for all the help and great feedback!

You can turn off the circuit breaker that the UPS is on. This will allow a ground connection to be maintained and is a more realistic simulation of a power interruption event. Pulling the UPS' plug will result in a loss of a connection to ground.

The reason for getting a UPS is to allow the system to perform an orderly shutdown without a resulting data loss during a power interruption. You can use it for a game console if you don't want to lose your game progress when the power failure happens.