[SOLVED] Can someone remotely wipe your hard drive?

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I recently had a falling out with an employer. Then a few days later my hard drive was no longer detected in my computer. I am wondering if they have remotely wiped my drive.

Is this possible? Is there a way to check ?

USAFRet

Titan
I recently had a falling out with an employer. Then a few days later my hard drive was no longer detected in my computer. I am wondering if they have remotely wiped my drive.

Is this possible? Is there a way to check ?
If you are on their network, and through Active Directory, it is possible.
But highly unlikely.

Far more likely is some hardware fault in your system.

Was this a company-supplied work computer or something? If that were the case, its possible that it could have had some security software installed that would enable them to lock or wipe the drive in the event of the system getting stolen, for example, in an effort to prevent company data from falling into the wrong hands.

If it's your own home system without special work-supplied security software installed, that seems pretty unlikely though. In what way is the drive no longer detected? And is it the boot drive, or some secondary data drive in the system?

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
The boot drive just doesnt exist anymore, I go into the bios and there is no drive detected.

gigabit Aorus 370 , and samsung evo 960

It is my computer not a company computer. They asked me to sign something I refused, and then bam my computer is wiped.

I did setup some shared dependencies. On their windows I had linked my email accounts, and my google drive. So they did have access to my google drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Your google drive and email has little or nothing to do with your system booting up, and your physical drive and its OS.

And if they were to somehow magically wipe the drive (they didn't), the physical drive wold still be detected by the BIOS.

You have some other problem.

klhsx1

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
I took the drive out and reseated it in another m2 slot, and it still does not detect it at all. Its a year and a half old, and I basically did not use it at all. I installed some programs, and never used my home computer basically at all. 100 hrs tops.