CPU: AMD FX 8350 (black edition)
GPU: MSI Radion R9 270 OC
MOBO: AS Rock 970M PRO3
PSU: Arctic Blue + 730w
HDD: Seagate barracuda 2TB
RAM: 2x4Gb 1333 DDR3 (unknown brand)

Running Windows 10

So... heres the full story,

I was running this set up but without the fx 8350, instead it had a Phenom II quad core i started playing bannerlord and worked out that i was going to need to upgrade this system if i wanted to play some more up to date games which explains why i now have a FX 8350 ( I intend to replace the GPU soon also)

Before i changed over to the FX 8350 i decided i wanted to play Total war shogun 2, during the installation process it decided to install direct X (i think it was 11) this caused my GPU (i think) to have a meltdown, causing instant BSOD along with some nice new vertical strips of horizontal green lines that come and go depending on what window is open or colour is being shown, i must be a total retard because i cant seem to upload pictures to show you examples.

After this i had to reinstall windows as thats the only thing that would allow me to boot windows again without a BSOD.

Once windows had been reinstalled it seemed to run okay without any drivers installed ect, i got a new cpu so i decided to install it and clean out the case, after this was done i reinstalled windows, installed the updates and have tried to install drivers, the first i tried to install was a video driver as it seemed my bios driver was already installed (after checking the asrock app store) and trying to install a graphics card driver has been merry hell, every time i try to run this new adrenaline software after using ddu in safe mode making sure the registry is clean with ccleaner and even trying a clean boot and multiple other things like changing the group policies to stop windows from installing its own driver, trting to install the video driver either ends in a 1603 error which i have reasearched and tried every fix on the list, or it will black screen and my mouse and keybeard will no longer work so keyboard commands do nothing and when i try to restart it will just black screen directly after windows boots (before the login screen)

Its likely im doing somthing very wrong here (otherwise these things would have fixed my issue surely)

Ive tried to use the amd cleanup tool to no avail.

I tried to install AMD chipset drivers as the chipset was not showing up in the device manager after using the amd installer the chipset was still not showing in device manager.

Im in despair and hoping someone else has some suggestions ive spent a good 20+ hours trying to fix this so ive tried alot.

Thanks and have a good day :)

Solution
For anyone that's also struggling with this problem and had an old GPU like I did I have some good/bad news for you, it's probably dead or dieing I bought a cheap Radeon rx550 just so I could get a working pc again and it's back to running like a dream, so I had a combination of a bad PSU which broke my old GPU (Radeon r9 270x)

Something I have learned from this, put the bucks into a decent PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
First off, that processor should never be on that motherboard. As a band aid, you could see if a BIOS update resolves some of the issues but fyi boards that had a better VRM design and heatsink/cooling were knocked out due to the high TDP of the FX 800 series processors.

The other thing is that you shouldn't be working with PSU's that are as best as a paper weight, they can knock out your entire investment inside that chassis and perhaps your entire house.

Which version of Windows 10 are you on?

Dec 11, 2019
First off, that processor should never be on that motherboard. As a band aid, you could see if a BIOS update resolves some of the issues but fyi boards that had a better VRM design and heatsink/cooling were knocked out due to the high TDP of the FX 800 series processors.

The other thing is that you shouldn't be working with PSU's that are as best as a paper weight, they can knock out your entire investment inside that chassis and perhaps your entire house.

Hi lutfij,

Thanks for a quick reply, it would make sense that id do something like that as i dont really have the expertise to look for somthing like that when building a pc, besides that when i installed the asrock app store it told me that my bios is up to date.

Do you have any reccomendations on a MOBO and PSU that would work with these components? unfortunately my revenue stream isnt the biggest, which lead me to using a PSU like that in the first place.

Thanks very much for the response

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi lutfij,

Thanks for a quick reply, it would make sense that id do something like that as i dont really have the expertise to look for somthing like that when building a pc, besides that when i installed the asrock app store it told me that my bios is up to date.

Do you have any reccomendations on a MOBO and PSU that would work with these components? unfortunately my revenue stream isnt the biggest, which lead me to using a PSU like that in the first place.

Thanks very much for the response

What Phenom II quad-core do you have? You might not like this answer, but if it's something like a 965 or 975, then the best thing to do is return the FX CPU and just keep using the Phenom.

Quality motherboards for a 125W AM3+ CPU, being out of production for a long time, will generally cost over $100 used. It's really hard for me to recommend you, on a budget, spending $100 for a non-amazing upgrade; after spending $100, you only have an ever-so-slightly less out-of-date CPU. The AM3+ CPUs were a massive failure and nearly ended AMD for very good reasons.

What it comes down to is that you're starting to incrementally upgrade a computer far too late. Your upgrade plan makes sense -- though the PSU is the biggest priority -- but it made sense in 2014. If you're on a tight budget, I can't recommend you drop money down what is a black hole and if you weren't on a tight budget, I'd recommend you get something that was actually good.

Dec 11, 2019
What Phenom II quad-core do you have? You might not like this answer, but if it's something like a 965 or 975, then the best thing to do is return the FX CPU and just keep using the Phenom.

Quality motherboards for a 125W AM3+ CPU, being out of production for a long time, will generally cost over $100 used. It's really hard for me to recommend you, on a budget, spending $100 for a non-amazing upgrade; after spending $100, you only have an ever-so-slightly less out-of-date CPU. The AM3+ CPUs were a massive failure and nearly ended AMD for very good reasons.

What it comes down to is that you're starting to incrementally upgrade a computer far too late. Your upgrade plan makes sense -- though the PSU is the biggest priority -- but it made sense in 2014. If you're on a tight budget, I can't recommend you drop money down what is a black hole and if you weren't on a tight budget, I'd recommend you get something that was actually good.

Well it seems like I've made a truly tremendous boo boo in that case, when I started looking for it I thought as my mobo took am3+ it would work well, but seems I am wrong.

Although one question that I do have is would this combination cause the problems that I am experiencing I mean the system seems pretty quick it's just that I can't seem to download a graphics driver without the system having problems with loading windows.

What CPU, MOBO, PSU and GPU would you suggest for a budget gaming system?

I'd like to play games like ESO and Mount' n blade Bannerlord.

My windows version is 1909

And the Phenom II I'm not really sure what one it is but it has a 3.7 GHz clock speed and it was originally a 3 cor with one core unlocked bringing it to a total of 4 cores

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Well it seems like I've made a truly tremendous boo boo in that case, when I started looking for it I thought as my mobo took am3+ it would work well, but seems I am wrong.

Although one question that I do have is would this combination cause the problems that I am experiencing I mean the system seems pretty quick it's just that I can't seem to download a graphics driver without the system having problems with loading windows.

What CPU, MOBO, PSU and GPU would you suggest for a budget gaming system?

I'd like to play games like ESO and Mount' n blade Bannerlord.

Probably the minimum I would recommend someone save up and purchase. You can go a little cheaper, but then you also eliminate upgrade paths. I would save up a little longer to get parts that I can incrementally upgrade a bit every year and keep it a competent budget build year-after-year.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $643.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-08 14:16 EDT-0400

You could use the current GPU for now if this is too much of a stretch right now and while I would personally want an SSD for the operating system, you can use your 2 TB drive for now if you want to axe that too.

Reactions: BigClouter
Dec 11, 2019
Probably the minimum I would recommend someone save up and purchase. You can go a little cheaper, but then you also eliminate upgrade paths. I would save up a little longer to get parts that I can incrementally upgrade a bit every year and keep it a competent budget build year-after-year.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($94.00 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $643.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-08 14:16 EDT-0400

You could use the current GPU for now if this is too much of a stretch right now and while I would personally want an SSD for the operating system, you can use your 2 TB drive for now if you want to axe that too.

This looks good, I've had a look on a UK version of this website and with the parts I have I've got it down to around 450 pounds plus I upgraded the CPU to a ryzen 5.

I'd just have to save up for a bit, might be hard work with no working pc! Ah well life goes on, thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019
That is true, but is it worth spending the time trying to get it all back together to end up getting the same problem that I was having at the start of this post?

The original problems occured with the phenom when I tried to play shogun 2 and it installed DX 11 as part of the game installation, when then resulted in multiple bsod and not even getting to the repair screen.

Dec 11, 2019
I'm still having this problem, it occurs when trying to install the amd driver, just a black screen during the install the mouse and keyboard stop working and the HDD light goes out.

System is:
Amd Phenom II 840 x4
ASrock 970m
Radion r970x
Corsair cx 550
Seagate Barracuda 2tb
Hp x23led monitor

I can get it into safe mode but that's about it.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019
For anyone that's also struggling with this problem and had an old GPU like I did I have some good/bad news for you, it's probably dead or dieing I bought a cheap Radeon rx550 just so I could get a working pc again and it's back to running like a dream, so I had a combination of a bad PSU which broke my old GPU (Radeon r9 270x)

Something I have learned from this, put the bucks into a decent PSU.

Solution