Can someone suggest a motherboard that is compatible with the i5-4690K without having to BIOS update?

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
Apparently my MSI Z97 G45 Gaming motherboard requires a BIOS update. The only way to update is by using a Haswell CPU and not a Haswell Refresh CPU or Devil's Canyon, which I do not have since I this is my first build. Could someone please refer me to motherboards that do not require BIOS update with a i5-4690K? I am going to return the MSI Z97 G45 for a motherboard that does not need a BIOS update.

Solution
:) Maybe not, saved me some money though ;) I had a spare 4770K and tried both it and my original, both OCed better with the Z97 than on the Z87 so rather than get one of the refreshes, I'm sticking with the 4770K until Broadwell comes out, unless I come on a good deal, though thinking about building another Z97 and get the 4690K
My personal experience is that MSI is wrong... I have the z97 Gaming 7 mobo (somewhat similar to yours), and have gone through multiple BIOS updates using my i7 4790K without any problems.

However, as this isn't "officially" supported by MSI, I can't legitimately tell you to go ahead and do it

Linnaeus

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

Can an older BIOS cause a new build to not display any POST information? I built my first build and I was not able to get any signal from my motherboard. All my hardware was running (LEDS and fans) but the monitor did not display any POST information or BIOS.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The Z97s were released prior to the release of the K model Haswells, so the original mobos will need a BIOS update, but basically any of the better and more popular Z97s have sold through their original production and the newer ones on the shelves will have a newer BIOS that is K model ready - I'd buy through say Newegg that has a large turnover of mobos they should have those w/ the newer BIOS(s)

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Since the refresh CPUs weren't released yet, there's no way to test with what isn't there...of course they were testing (and no doubt for awhile with the different variations of ES (Engineering sample) CPUs)...I got my Hero in May and don't thing the Ks came out till early July

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
:) Maybe not, saved me some money though ;) I had a spare 4770K and tried both it and my original, both OCed better with the Z97 than on the Z87 so rather than get one of the refreshes, I'm sticking with the 4770K until Broadwell comes out, unless I come on a good deal, though thinking about building another Z97 and get the 4690K

Solution