[SOLVED] Can someone tell me what this is?

S3Z

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
Hi, like, you know, with the virus and all, I decided to (re)play some games on my pc. But whenever I start a game, in the lower right corner, where the system tray is, something pops up. It closes all my other programs and tells me it has freed some memory. About 500mb or something. I have 16gb memory, so I don't really need or want this.

Now I have played many many games in the past, like from 1990 onwards. I know my pc and I know windows, but I have never seen this before and I can not find out what it is. I had to make a screenshot with my mobile phone, because it seems to be an overlay of some sort and it doesn't show up on screenshots I make on my pc.

I am using win 10 and nvidia game drivers and norton internet security. Might be one of those, but I haven't got a clue where to look.

See pics for what I mean.

PS, sorry, as I really don't have a clue what this is, I put it in the win10 forum. Also, I did many many google searches to find out what this is, but every search just leads me to some software related to system optimization. Most of those are just junk and not what I search for, so google was not my best friend this time. :(

PS2 Hmmm, perhaps I should have put it under gaming. Sorry.

I hope the pics show up:

kSw1hBA.jpg

1mRrC3c.jpg

Last edited:

S3Z

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
As far as I know, I would never install something like this myself, so I'm not sure how it got on my pc if not win10 or nvidia related.

Only thing I know is, that Norton offered me a free upgrade some time ago and I switched from Norton Internet Security to Norton 360. But I've been through all settings in Norton and couldn't find anything.

I have tried task manager. but this thing closes the task manager as soon as I click on a game as part of its "optimization". I see some green thing pop up in my tasks list, but it disappears in under a second. God, how annoying.

S3Z

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
Yes, it is indeed Razer Cortex. I am not even sure how a mouse driver/software can do that, that is what this is, right? I mean, I just installed anything related to the mouse when I bought it, but can I just uninstall this cortex thing and still use my mouse to the fullest?

Yes, it is indeed Razer Cortex. I am not even sure how a mouse driver/software can do that, that is what this is, right? I mean, I just installed anything related to the mouse when I bought it, but can I just uninstall this cortex thing and still use my mouse to the fullest?

Can you just deactivate the optimization feature? Probably can.

EDIT: Uncheck the boxes under each thing. System Clean, Optimize and Defrag Games.

S3Z

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2014
Yes, thank you. It is possible to disable the whole optimization thing as I really don't think it does any good. I tested it and it is indeed gone. Thank you SO much!