[SOLVED] Can someone translate my parts picked for PC into parts that work for a laptop setup?

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Hello Everyone!

My husband and I have been trying to build a PC for over a year now, and the graphics cards have been holding us up. My husband now thinks he might want a laptop so when we are out of town he can continue trading, but all we researched is for a PC. Here's the list for the PC we wanted with a $2000 budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJDQvf
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus
  • G.Skill Trident Z RBG 16GB (8+8) AMD 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 PC4 25600
  • AMD Radeon RX 6800 or 6800XT or NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
  • Fractal Design Meshify C
  • Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
  • Samsung 970 EVO 500gb M.2-2280 NVME SSD
  • Corsair RMx (2018) 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
I thought that it might be nice if we still did some of the PC build so he could dock it and hook up to more monitors and the better graphics cards and use it like a PC and then he could just use the laptop normally out of the house but he thinks that might be complicated.
We're complete noobs when it comes to computer builds, but not to any electrical or mechanical work.

So here's what I'm asking....

What would a good laptop setup look like for active day trading, running IronCAD, design programs, and gaming (using our above picks as guidelines)?

I know that's a pretty heavy question but thanks in advance!
The Castle's

Solution
Hello Everyone!

My husband and I have been trying to build a PC for over a year now, and the graphics cards have been holding us up. My husband now thinks he might want a laptop so when we are out of town he can continue trading, but all we researched is for a PC. Here's the list for the PC we wanted with a $2000 budget: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qJDQvf
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
I thought...

Adam0ne

Proper
Feb 9, 2021
I went that route before. I was choosing between the Lenovo Legion 7i and the Alienware M15. Both are great, except the Alienware M15's RAM is not upgradeable. Its soldered. Razer Blade 15 is a favorite for most- that one's nice.

There are more choices out there like the Asus Zephyrus G14 or the Dell G7. Talks of heating issues for both. But this is expected on high powered laptops.

All in all, definitely at least $1800 onwards on the spec. But these will never match a spec'd desktop. You're paying a premium for power and portability for this.

Check out Bestbuy and BHPhoto to name a few. But choices of spec are limited. If you want to customize the spec for Alienware M15, Dell G7, Lenovo Legion 7i, and Razer Blade go to it's respective website. Do the configurator so you can see possible spec and how much.

Good luck.

Last edited:

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Sorry for the late reply, we actually managed to go out of town for a couple days and disconnect.
What's your resolution?
If that was directed at me, I have no idea. I'm assuming that's asking about monitor resolution? We haven't picked one yet for the desktop. My husband found a couple that he likes and wants to pair with a laptop for travel, they are the Asus ZenScreen 15.6" Asus Link (cheaper elsewhere). The link says they are 1080i. I know for the desktop we'd want a better resolution monitor so we're not bottlenecked by it since we want the better graphics card and everything.

All in all, definitely at least $1800 onwards on the spec. But these will never match a spec'd desktop. You're paying a premium for power and portability for this.

We did go in to Best Buy and look around - no one wanted to help us as per usual. But we really didn't see anything that had close to the specs we wanted. Everything was an Intel CPU and I'm not too familiar with all their numbers. We really liked the performance per dollar with the Ryzen 5 3600. Closest we saw was the Ryzen 5 3500 and the Ryzen 7 3000 series (is what was listed on the card) most of them had DDR4 graphics cards and the memory was either too low or way too high. They did have an Alienware there but it was very expensive and the specs were too low. We also saw the Razer Blade one.

I understand what Adam 0ne was saying when you said we'll be paying for power and portability. I was hoping that it'd be less expensive but one built up the way we would like was around 3 or 4 grand. We may end up having to look at just a cheaper laptop for him to trade with and a desktop that's built.

That being said... Do you guys think it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy the parts for the desktop we can find, build with a lower end GPU and replace it sometime in the future when we can get a better one? If yes, what lower end GPU do you recommend? My brain is fried looking at all the benchmarks and graphs and comparing everything together, it can't figure out what's up and what's down. I need anecdotal evidence now for what's the best cheap one and would I be able to sell it when we upgrade?

Thanks a lot!
The Castle's

THpapi

Reputable
Mar 27, 2019
Hello Everyone!

• AMD Ryzen 5 3600
I thought that it might be nice if we still did some of the PC build so he could dock it and hook up to more monitors and the better graphics cards and use it like a PC and then he could just use the laptop normally out of the house but he thinks that might be complicated.
We're complete noobs when it comes to computer builds, but not to any electrical or mechanical work.

So here's what I'm asking....

What would a good laptop setup look like for active day trading, running IronCAD, design programs, and gaming (using our above picks as guidelines)?

I know that's a pretty heavy question but thanks in advance!
The Castle's

This is what you're going to want to do now, get a decent work laptop that can run basic games and Build a gaming desktop later this year or next year.
The short story is a laptop will never game as well as a desktop coming close to the same price, in order to get close to the same performance the laptop is going to cost about $1,000 more. I would look for models around $1,000 that have either a 1660, 1650, 1660 ti, or 1660s graphics card in it. That is plenty good enough for your husband to work and will be able to game on it just fine. Because he is running the CAD software think you're going to want the Ryzen 7 or Intel i7 as far as cpu goes, either should be fine.

In a few months or a year when the GPU market normalizes you can try to build a desktop. If you are going to get 1080p monitors (resolution) I would recommend a 3060 or 3060ti instead of a 3080. At this point with GPU technology you don't need a -70 -80 -90 card unless you are gaming in 2k or 4k resolution. Also for the gaming pc in the future I would get an i5 cpu, i5 processors are amazing for gaming, best bang for the buck when it comes to gaming without a doubt. But if you really have your heart set on the Ryzen you can do that too, they work fine, they are just a little more expensive compared to how much gaming performance you get out of them. The Intel i3's play most games the same as a Ryzen 7. Games mostly rely on the GPU as opposed to the CPU.

Edit: Also make sure both the Laptop and Desktop you get in the future have 16gb of ram

Last edited:
Solution

TheCastles

Commendable
Sep 26, 2020
Thank you all very much for your help. I think we'll still build the desktop so that I can run CAD and design programs, but it might just be an in the future thing.
That laptop does look really nice. My husband said he had looked at the G14 before. We're just stuck in that continuum of you have to spend money to make money - which sucks.

TRENDING THREADS