Can SSDS be damaged by a power cut?

Theron86

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
I had a power cut the other week whilst I was on a game. 2 seconds later my PC booted up and my SSD seemed to be fine but my HDD was buggered. So I've bought another SSD to replace my HDD and I'm just wondering are SSDs fine when it comes to a powercut? It runs all right now but I don't know if this power cut would affect it later. Also handy to know in case I need to get any equipment so my computer doesn't get damaged when a power cut happens again.

Solution
For your HDD after the power cut...is the actual drive borked, or is it just the data?
It may have been in the middle of a write operation when the power went out. That would affect any drive, floppy, HDD, SSD, USB.
I'd say most of the time a power outage might cause errors in the file system, but wouldn't physically damage the SSD as long as you have an adequate surge protector. Even better is a battery backup (these start around $50). But if lightning strikes close to your house, all bets are off. Usually when the file system is damaged, you can do a CHKDSK and correct the problem.

Good luck.

USAFRet

Titan
For your HDD after the power cut...is the actual drive borked, or is it just the data?
It may have been in the middle of a write operation when the power went out. That would affect any drive, floppy, HDD, SSD, USB.

Solution