Can stable overclocks vary from game to game?

Pat13

Commendable
Mar 25, 2017
I have a 1070 sc with an i5. I mainly play overwatch and can achieve +600 memory with no issues. Nier automata on the other hand artifacts and has me scale down to +250. Is this due to poor optimization?

Overwatch is running at minimal settings to boost frames and decrease input lag, while nier is not. But I didnt think that made a difference on a stable oc ive ran for hours. Any advice or input are appreciated. Thanks

Solution
It just means your overclock is unstable. I run NieR with GTX 1080 +500Mhz memory clock zero problem, but my card uses Micron VRAM and it's impossible to push further. On the other hand people with Samsung VRAM was able to push somewhere from +700 to +900 even. The refreshed cards have better memory and can push even further.

_MasterG_

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Well overwatch is not necessary memory or core intensive for the gpu so when you push that +600mhz the game dont really use it. Automata is a bit more harder to run and whit the textures of the same vram of the gpu is heavily used

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
It just means your overclock is unstable. I run NieR with GTX 1080 +500Mhz memory clock zero problem, but my card uses Micron VRAM and it's impossible to push further. On the other hand people with Samsung VRAM was able to push somewhere from +700 to +900 even. The refreshed cards have better memory and can push even further.

Solution

Themastererr

Respectable
May 22, 2016
You answered your own question "Overwatch is running at minimal settings to boost frames and decrease input lag, while nier is not"

Overwatch at minimum settings barely touches a 1070. When you play the other game, the card is stressed, and it artifacts .

Both Samsung and micron memory should be capable of 9000mhz if the VGA BIOS is up to date.

Keep in mind overclocking memory can stress memory and voltage controllers in turn dropping boost clock.