[SOLVED] Can static damage to motherboard be fixed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Can motherboard damage from static current still be fixed?

and how to fix the motherboard from static?

Thanks.
I'm curious...do you have a motherboard that was damaged by an electrostatic discharge (ESD)? How do you know it was damaged that way?

It's actually pretty rare for a motherboard to be damaged by ESD. That's because both the motherboard and the components on the motherboard have pretty robust protections designed in to prevent it.

It's easy to see why they do that as it's the nature of how these things are handled, and who does the handling. Just watch one of Timmy Joe's videos where he tosses parts around like dominoes, yet they still work for him. And other techtube reviewers it's the same thing as even though...

Lutfij

Titan
Any electronic component damaged from static electricity is either a paper weigh or material meant for recycling. The only way you can confidently get a board repaired with static damage would be to send it to the motherboard makers but for the amount of resources you're spending on the repair, you might as well get a new board.

Reactions: russelbrown
Can motherboard damage from static current still be fixed?

and how to fix the motherboard from static?

Thanks.
I'm curious...do you have a motherboard that was damaged by an electrostatic discharge (ESD)? How do you know it was damaged that way?

It's actually pretty rare for a motherboard to be damaged by ESD. That's because both the motherboard and the components on the motherboard have pretty robust protections designed in to prevent it.

It's easy to see why they do that as it's the nature of how these things are handled, and who does the handling. Just watch one of Timmy Joe's videos where he tosses parts around like dominoes, yet they still work for him. And other techtube reviewers it's the same thing as even though they have a wrist strap on it doesn't prevent ESD discharges from their clothing as a part brushes against a shirt, for instance.

That's not to say it's impossible, of course, so always take appropriate precautions.

Reactions: russelbrown
Solution

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019
Any electronic component damaged from static electricity is either a paper weigh or material meant for recycling. The only way you can confidently get a board repaired with static damage would be to send it to the motherboard makers but for the amount of resources you're spending on the repair, you might as well get a new board.

Thanks for your response.

russelbrown

Prominent
Jul 28, 2019

It's easy to see why they do that as it's the nature of how these things are handled, and who does the handling. Just watch one of Timmy Joe's videos where he tosses parts around like dominoes, yet they still work for him. And other techtube reviewers it's the same thing as even though they have a wrist strap on it doesn't prevent ESD discharges from their clothing as a part brushes against a shirt, for instance.

That's not to say it's impossible, of course, so always take appropriate precautions.

Oh, thanks for the info. I'm just asking anyway but I think I just encountered it the last time I transfer the old system unit to the new system casing. In the old casing all the components of the system unit itself is all working but the moment I transfered it to the new system and tried to power on it, there's power but no display. I always take safety precaution before handling the motherboard or other parts of the system unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.