[SOLVED] Can Steam games work on an external drive?

Nov 10, 2019
Hello there, sorry if this is a nooby question, but I want to see if it's possible to install some games on Steam on an external drive since I don't want them eating space on my main disk? And if so, would it be possible to play them on other computers with steam logged on to the same account, or would I have to download individual copies for each computer? Thanks!

Solution
Yeah you can. Go to Steam and go to settings -> Download. You can see your library folder and create a new library on any drive. Just select the external drive and after that when you install a Steam game it will ask you in which library you want to install the game.

If you want to play the games on another computer you will have to create the same library and when you install the game and choose the external drive it should find the files and be installed directly. No need to redownload the game.
Yeah you can. Go to Steam and go to settings -> Download. You can see your library folder and create a new library on any drive. Just select the external drive and after that when you install a Steam game it will ask you in which library you want to install the game.

If you want to play the games on another computer you will have to create the same library and when you install the game and choose the external drive it should find the files and be installed directly. No need to redownload the game.

Solution
Nov 10, 2019

Does it also have save files for some games that don't have Steam Cloud support on there or would there have to be separate saves?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello there, sorry if this is a nooby question, but I want to see if it's possible to install some games on Steam on an external drive since I don't want them eating space on my main disk? And if so, would it be possible to play them on other computers with steam logged on to the same account, or would I have to download individual copies for each computer? Thanks!
You can install on an external, no problem.
Performance may suck, though.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

You can't play 2 people from the same account at the same time.