Question Can sudden power loss damage an external hard drive?

Apr 1, 2020
We are using a 20tb G-RAID Thunderbolt 2 external hard drive (configured with RAID 1) to store weekly backups. Twice now, after a power outage, our backups have failed with I/O errors because they can't write to the drive.
Could power outages be damaging our drive or causing these I/O errors?

D

Deleted member 14196

If there are associated power spikes when these outages occur yes

What kind of surge protection do you have them plugged into?

We are using a 20tb G-RAID Thunderbolt 2 external hard drive (configured with RAID 1) to store weekly backups. Twice now, after a power outage, our backups have failed with I/O errors because they can't write to the drive.
Could power outages be damaging our drive or causing these I/O errors?
Yes....as many times an outage is associated with a voltage spike and voltage spikes damage things.

Apr 1, 2020
If there are associated power spikes when these outages occur yes

What kind of surge protection do you have them plugged into?

In all honesty, I can't be too sure. It is plugged into a power strip (a temporarily decision until we get another UPS) and I cannot for sure say that it's also a surge protector. I didn't pay enough attention. As of now, our office is shut down and locked because of the Coronavirus, so I cannot go in and investigate. I believe a few other non-critical devices are plugged into the power strip along with it, but no computers or servers. At the very least, the computer that it's connected to is powered by a UPS and not the power strip. The computers and servers being backed up do so over the network.

EDIT: I talked to a coworker, and he confirmed that the power strip was a surge protector

Last edited:

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
[/QUOTE]
Saga can cause issues as well - just not as obvious as a spike - in which sometime you get some cool sparks and go fast smoke.
In all honesty, I can't be too sure. It is plugged into a power strip (a temporarily decision until we get another UPS) and I cannot for sure say that it's also a surge protector. I didn't pay enough attention. As of now, our office is shut down and locked because of the Coronavirus, so I cannot go in and investigate. I believe a few other non-critical devices are plugged into the power strip along with it, but no computers or servers. At the very least, the computer that it's connected to is powered by a UPS and not the power strip. The computers and servers being backed up do so over the network.

EDIT: I talked to a coworker, and he confirmed that the power strip was a surge protector
Thing about surge protectors - most are junk and not much better than plugging into the wall outlet directly - unless it's an ISOBAR or something beefy. That unit is a surge protector like an extra shirt is like bullet proof body armor.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yes, power outages can caus this damage. Anytime a working disk is forced to shut down instantly, things like this can happen.

Also, RAID is a very poor choice for a backup solution. It's for availability, not integrity. If you need the advantages of a RAID setup, you still need to have a proper backup solution supplementing it.

TRENDING THREADS