Question Can surf internet but not play online games

eryanh

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Don't know if this is in the right section and Its hard to explain my problem but as the title says, I can surf the internet, watch YouTube, download files but once I try to launch a game that requires internet access, i.e. Star Wars Battlefront 2, Battlefield 2042 through EA Origin or any games through Steam, it tells me it can't reach the EA servers or in the case of Steam it started with "Manifest Unavailable" then eventually it said "No Network Connection Available." I ended up uninstalling Steam and trying to reinstall it only to be met with "Fatal Error Steam needs to be online to update." Yes I am connected to the internet. I've tried downloading these apps on other computers and they do just fine albeit its a Windows 11 while this is 10. Its just this computer. Tried resetting my registry of which that didn't do anything. Searching online doing everything that is suggested of which nothing has worked either and below is the website I used to try. This is the original motherboard to this computer which is now 5-6 years old. I assumed my integrated network adapter isn't working like it should but using a USB adapter doesn't help either. The last thing I am thinking of trying is a new motherboard, but any other suggestions would be welcomed.

https://windowsreport.com/steam-nee...at Steam,Firewall and your antivirus software.

Lutfij

Titan
Can you list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You stated being on Windows 10, if so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? Please include your wireless networking gear's make and models and while there, see if your router(or networking gear) has any firmware updates pending.

eryanh

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
If you reread the post, yes I tried everything in the link, except for downloading a random program. I have had firewall disabled since I set this PC up as it interferes with many things.
Did you try the things in the post you link.

This is very commonly caused by firewall or virus setting that only allow the ports used by browsers and block most others

Also it has been working for 5 years but now all if a sudden it started last Sunday

Last edited:

eryanh

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2014
Can you list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

You stated being on Windows 10, if so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? As for your motherboard, what BIOS version are you on? Please include your wireless networking gear's make and models and while there, see if your router(or networking gear) has any firmware updates pending.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard: Dell 07PR60 (maybe?)
Ram: 1 Stick PNY Anarchy 8gb and the other is a 16 that came with the tower
SSD/HDD: SSD is M.2 Western Digital WDS200T2B0B
GPU: AMD Radeon RX5700 XT
PSU: Dell CN-0DM1RW-ABW00
Chassis:

ISP is Starlink with their router and has nothing to do with my problem as stated previously when other computers weren't having this issue. Was working just fine for 2 months with Starlink.

The problem is not a simple network issue if web pages work. Things like speedtest are actual file download they just are inside the browser.

The difference between this the other software you mention is they are using other ports than the ones used by web browsers. This is why it tends to be the firewall. The firewall in windows will sometime think you are on a public network and block everything except web traffic.
This is why you see it recommended to temporarily disable the firewall. If you have disabled the firewall then there must be some other software that is doing something similar. Hard to say maybe QoS software or I guess it could be your router if somehow there are firewall rules configured on that.

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue as to what is happening.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

[Note: Stay out of the registry. Registry editing is a last resort and should only be done after a full backup of the system and the registry itself. An edit error can make the system unable to boot.]