Can switching motherboards improve overclock?

T3h_LoU

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Howdy guys. Here are the basics to my rig

i5-4670K (Hyper 212 evo push pull w Corsair High Performance)
MSI Z97 Krait SLI
GTX 970
8gb Crucial 1600

I just got a new case so I got a new board (MSI Z97 Krait SLI)to match the theme. on my old board (Asrock Z87 pro 4) the only overclock I could do and keep my temps under 65 was a 4.2 GHZ at 1.185. Now that Im on this new mobo, should I go through the steps again and step it up or just go straight to 4.2 at 1.185?

I guess my question is whether overclocking is cpu dependent (meaning the same individual chip will OC on every board the same) or if its more board dependent, or if its a "it takes two to tango" sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
The board and chip both determine the OC. What works on one board will not always work on another. That can even be said for two of the same boards or two of the same chips. Each has their own "personality" if you will as to what they will take. I would personally start from scratch.

Puff3r

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
The board and chip both determine the OC. What works on one board will not always work on another. That can even be said for two of the same boards or two of the same chips. Each has their own "personality" if you will as to what they will take. I would personally start from scratch.

Solution

T3h_LoU

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015
Thanks for the info Puffer. So maybe I didnt lose the silicon lottery afterall? I couldnt ever get to 4.5 on my old board, even at 1.30 vcore (I didnt want to try going beyond that). So maybe it was just I got a bad board. Its not like that Z87 pro 4 was a top of the line board to begin with. I will post my results later this week when I have a chance to dedicated 2-3 hours straight to an OC process.

T3h_LoU

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Just out of curiosity, what voltage are you running that 4.5 at and what is your peak temp you get on your hottest core in a demanding game, like say Witcher 3?