[SOLVED] Can the average person tell a 15-20 fps difference?

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
I'm choosing between the 2060S and the 5700XT for my gpu, and although the 5700xt gives you better frames, the 2060S has better drivers, is more efficient, and has a better encoder. So, would an average person like me, who came from playing 60fps on console, notice a 15-20 fps difference between the two, on 1440p and assuming the fps would be around a 100 or so?

Solution
It depends. 10fps difference in the range 30 to 60 fps can be easily noticed. But it gets less noticeable above 60fps. But I can still feel a difference between lets say 65 and 85fps....mostly if you move quickly around a player character in 3rd person few (for example in RDR2). But that difference is absolutely neglect-able in non-competitive single player games.

Also, important to remember. I believe the actual performance difference between the two cards is about 7% if you compare same games, same settings without ray tracing. If you play a game with setting that produces around 60 fps average, the difference would only be 4-5fps more on the 5700XT. So no big deal.

I would go with the 2060 Super. Performance is slightly lower...
I'm choosing between the 2060S and the 5700XT for my gpu, and although the 5700xt gives you better frames, the 2060S has better drivers, is more efficient, and has a better encoder. So, would an average person like me, who came from playing 60fps on console, notice a 15-20 fps difference between the two, on 1440p and assuming the fps would be around a 100 or so?
If your FPS stay between 80-120 you might not see a difference, most people won't.

Reactions: GarrettL and King_V

EphyMusic

Commendable
May 4, 2017
No, but you will notice a difference going from 60 to more than that, assuming your monitor has a refresh rate higher than 60. It may even look weird, possibly nauseating.

If your monitor does not have a refresh rate higher than 60Hz, you literally will not notice a difference in any fashion. But it's a nice overhead. Better to dedicate that to VSync.

Reactions: King_V

mjbn1977

Distinguished
It depends. 10fps difference in the range 30 to 60 fps can be easily noticed. But it gets less noticeable above 60fps. But I can still feel a difference between lets say 65 and 85fps....mostly if you move quickly around a player character in 3rd person few (for example in RDR2). But that difference is absolutely neglect-able in non-competitive single player games.

Also, important to remember. I believe the actual performance difference between the two cards is about 7% if you compare same games, same settings without ray tracing. If you play a game with setting that produces around 60 fps average, the difference would only be 4-5fps more on the 5700XT. So no big deal.

I would go with the 2060 Super. Performance is slightly lower (see above), but
  1. you have the possibility of ray tracing. the future is ray tracing, next gen PS5 and Xbox will have ray tracing, the upcoming AMD Navi2 cards will have ray tracing, more and more AAA titles will have ray tracing. I just would afraid of potential buyers remorse if I would buy a card without ray tracing at this time. even so, and I admit, its still a technology in the beginning, but nevertheless pretty cool! And I personally hate it if I can't activate available graphic settings because my card doesn't support them.
  2. You get much much better and more frequent game optimized drivers from Nvidia. Even so AMD got much better with their drivers....still not perfect.
If those 2 reason don't tickle you at all, go with the AMD 5700XT. It is definitely a great video card as long as you really don't care for ray tracing and the stable drivers. But the slightly lower fps on the 2060 Super shouldn't make much difference.

Solution

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020

I would go with the 2060 Super. Performance is slightly lower (see above), but
  1. you have the possibility of ray tracing. the future is ray tracing, next gen PS5 and Xbox will have ray tracing, the upcoming AMD Navi2 cards will have ray tracing, more and more AAA titles will have ray tracing. I just would afraid of potential buyers remorse if I would buy a card without ray tracing at this time. even so, and I admit, its still a technology in the beginning, but nevertheless pretty cool! And I personally hate it if I can't activate available graphic settings because my card doesn't support them.
  2. You get much much better and more frequent game optimized drivers from Nvidia. Even so AMD got much better with their drivers....still not perfect.
If those 2 reason don't tickle you at all, go with the AMD 5700XT. It is definitely a great video card as long as you really don't care for ray tracing and the stable drivers. But the slightly lower fps on the 2060 Super shouldn't make much difference.

When are the AMD Navi2 cards coming out? If it is this year I'll prob wait.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
When are the AMD Navi2 cards coming out? If it is this year I'll prob wait.
They will be officially announce next month. I personally expect them to be released some time in summer. Unless, there will be delays due to the corona virus, what might just happen. Also, I am expecting that the new RTX 3000 series cards (3080, 3070 and maybe 3080Ti) will be released in September....again, corona virus could delay things.

But this should all not affect your buying decision since all those cards incl. the AMD cards will most likely cost much more than the 5700XT or the 2060Super.

Fusion1005

Commendable
Jan 15, 2020
They will be officially announce next month. I personally expect them to be released some time in summer. Unless, there will be delays due to the corona virus, what might just happen. Also, I am expecting that the new RTX 3000 series cards (3080, 3070 and maybe 3080Ti) will be released in September....again, corona virus could delay things.

But this should all not affect your buying decision since all those cards incl. the AMD cards will most likely cost much more than the 5700XT or the 2060Super.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the price. I was gonna buy the Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x fan 5700XT, but now I'm slightly being swayed towards the Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x fan 2060 SUPER.

Last edited:

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the price. I was gonna buy the Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x fan 5700XT, but now I'm slightly being swayed towards the Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x 2060 SUPER.

They are both awesome cards. 5700XT is slightly fast. It really comes down to if you want to experiment around with ray tracing. Even so I really like ray tracing as a technology and like to use it, I have to admit that its not the end of the world if you don't have it. When I use it in a game I think about it and notice it only in the beginning and kinda forget after an hour or so and don't even remember its there. Its a cool technology but rather subtle in appearance right now.

I have a 2070S.

If I could do it again I'd get the 5700xt and pocket the savings. Ray tracing does add some eye candy but in the heat of a battle in game you don't see the effect all that well. And ray tracing right now is a FPS killer.

My 2 cents.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I have a 2070S.

If I could do it again I'd get the 5700xt and pocket the savings. Ray tracing does add some eye candy but in the heat of a battle in game you don't see the effect all that well. And ray tracing right now is a FPS killer.

My 2 cents.

Well, without ray tracing your 2070Super is about 12% faster than the 5700XT and even over 20% faster when it comes to the 1%lows. Which makes the 2070Super much less susceptible to micro stutters and offers a smoother experience.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
yes. But I didn't recommend that one to you, I just responded to GarretL's comment.

In your case you can't go wrong either way. You have to decide for yourself if you want to be able to use ray tracing or not. Besides that one questions, both cards, RTX2060 Super and 5700XT are very good cards.

Reactions: GarrettL