[SOLVED] Can the Corsair CV 550W 80+ bronze handle a GTX 1070?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Here are my PC components:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Gaming pro
Palit GTX 1070
8gb x2 AVEXIR 3200mhz DDR4
480G Kingston SSD
some RGB fans.

I was given a second hand GTX 1070 as a gift but looks pretty decent and I was thankful for it, but I was wondering if it's safe to use with the Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze, since it's a budget PSU. I heard I need at least 500W to run the 1070, but I heard some mixed opinions about the CV 550w.

Is it okay to use this safely while I save up some cash for a better PSU ?
And please give some recommendations about the PSU I should really have so I can use my PC without thinking it could blow any minute. Thanks!

Solution
Can that PSU power the system you describe? Yes.

There are higher quality PSUs available. Really a matter of budget and availability. What is your budget and from where do you purchase PC parts?

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
Can that PSU power the system you describe? Yes.

There are higher quality PSUs available. Really a matter of budget and availability. What is your budget and from where do you purchase PC parts?
I see, does that mean I can use it safely until I can buy a new one ?
I'm thinking about early 2021 before I can buy a new PSU. I'm from the Philippines and my budget is around $100 to $110 at most.

Here are my PC components:
Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 Gaming pro
Palit GTX 1070
8gb x2 AVEXIR 3200mhz DDR4
480G Kingston SSD
some RGB fans.

I was given a second hand GTX 1070 as a gift but looks pretty decent and I was thankful for it, but I was wondering if it's safe to use with the Corsair CV 550W 80+ Bronze, since it's a budget PSU. I heard I need at least 500W to run the 1070, but I heard some mixed opinions about the CV 550w.

Is it okay to use this safely while I save up some cash for a better PSU ?
And please give some recommendations about the PSU I should really have so I can use my PC without thinking it could blow any minute. Thanks!

It's just a GTX 1070. The CV 550 is more than fine.

At least you asked. Some people would be trying to use that card with an Explosio Fiera 500 Gold Miner without even asking first and set their whole house on fire.

Ahazuerus

Reputable
Nov 16, 2019
It's just a GTX 1070. The CV 550 is more than fine.

At least you asked. Some people would be trying to use that card with an Explosio Fiera 500 Gold Miner without even asking first and set their whole house on fire.
Thank you, sir Jonnyguru.
It's great to know a positive comment coming from you about the CV 550, I have learned a lot from your website and reviews about different power supplies (and manage to avoid the unreliable PSUs I was about to buy, thankfully.) but I wasn't able to find exactly about the Corsair CV 550w and it's great to hear from you in this thread, thank you sir ! Putting my mind at ease with the CV 550.