[SOLVED] Can the CPU fan header control LED brightness?

JaRaF

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
I'm usually pretty good about Googling solutions but I can't seem to figure this out.

From what I understand, the 4 pin CPU has PWM, which lets you control the fan speed and lights. I just can't figure out how to control the LED on my fan.

My MOBO is an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max and I have a Corsair ML120 Pro LED plugged into the CPU fan header.

Shouldn't I be able to control the brightness of the LED, and even be able to completely turn off the LED if I wanted?

I have Dragon Center installed and updated, but it does not give me the option to change any CPU lights.

Solution
Clarify a detail if you can. Corsair males several models in their ML line. The ML Pro LED White fan has only one colour or LED in its frame, and only one cable from the motor out to a mobo fan header. It is a 4-pin PWM fan type. With this fan design you have no control of colour or brightness of the lights in the frame. Typically the light is on and constant whenever the fan is running. In some designs the light brightness may vary with fan speed, but I don't think this one does that.

The ML Pro RGB LED fan has three light colours in its frame and TWO cables coming out. One is for the fan motor and goes to a mobo fan header. The second is for the lights only with a larger connector and goes to a different ARGB header on the mobo. This...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Clarify a detail if you can. Corsair males several models in their ML line. The ML Pro LED White fan has only one colour or LED in its frame, and only one cable from the motor out to a mobo fan header. It is a 4-pin PWM fan type. With this fan design you have no control of colour or brightness of the lights in the frame. Typically the light is on and constant whenever the fan is running. In some designs the light brightness may vary with fan speed, but I don't think this one does that.

The ML Pro RGB LED fan has three light colours in its frame and TWO cables coming out. One is for the fan motor and goes to a mobo fan header. The second is for the lights only with a larger connector and goes to a different ARGB header on the mobo. This type does allow you to control colours, pattern and brightness of the lights using a utility supplied with the mobo.

I suspect you have the one-colour unit with only one cable from the fan motor.

Reactions: JaRaF
Solution

JaRaF

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
You're correct.

It's the single, white LED with the one 4-pin connector. That's such a shame. You're right that the fan speed did not alter the brightness like the cheaper, AF120 models do. It's especially bad because the ML120 is on the dim side compared to the AF120's.

I had a hunch that I wasn't going to be able to change it, so I recently swapped out the ML120 with an AF120 to match the rest of my case fans.

Thanks so much for the response. I had such a hard time trying to find this answer.