Can the electric battery on a hybrid be charged by the gas part of the engine?

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I was thinking of getting a all electric RV and attach solar panels to it to charge the battery during the day but also have a gas powered generator to charge the battery when there is no sunlight.

But I heard that I can just get a hybrid RV and the gas would charge the electric battery like a generator and I can use that to power appliances.

Is this true?

AFAIK there is no fully electric RV out there.
Depending how a hybrid would be set up it could vary. Some of them use electric motors for propulsion until they run out of juice, or on easy loads, then the gas engine takes over for the rest.
Others will charge batteries whenever braking going downhill.
Appliances will generally be run on battery power (distinct from propulsion)

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
AFAIK there is no fully electric RV out there.
Depending how a hybrid would be set up it could vary. Some of them use electric motors for propulsion until they run out of juice, or on easy loads, then the gas engine takes over for the rest.
Others will charge batteries whenever braking going downhill.
Appliances will generally be run on battery power (distinct from propulsion)
Here are a couple of electric RVs
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cu...-for-sale-camper-motorhome-iridium-dusseldorf

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I was thinking of getting a all electric RV and attach solar panels to it to charge the battery during the day but also have a gas powered generator to charge the battery when there is no sunlight.

But I heard that I can just get a hybrid RV and the gas would charge the electric battery like a generator and I can use that to power appliances.

Is this true?
If the whole thing is built to do that, obviously yes.
If you were to find an all electric vehicle, you can't just splice in a gas engine to charge it.

USAFRet

Titan
"World’s first..." as of a month ago.

"Deliveries of the new vehicles will start in early 2020 "

At $220,000 base price. Customization extra.

Solar panels? Not nearly enough square footage.
Covering the whole top of that with solar may gain you an extra 5 miles per day.

("5 miles per day" just a guesstimate, but not far off - This is when you do a whole lot of investigation)

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
"World’s first..." as of a month ago.

"Deliveries of the new vehicles will start in early 2020 "

At $220,000 base price. Customization extra.

Solar panels? Not nearly enough square footage.
Covering the whole top of that with solar may gain you an extra 5 miles per day.

("5 miles per day" just a guesstimate, but not far off - This is when you do a whole lot of investigation)
I don't plan on driving it too much, I'm really just looking for an alternative to homelessness.

bignastyid

Titan
If the whole thing is built to do that, obviously yes.
If you were to find an all electric vehicle, you can't just splice in a gas engine to charge it.
ev-driver-fed-up-with-range-anxiety-straps-generator-to-his-renault-twizy-s-roof-110360_1.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
I don't plan on driving it too much, I'm really just looking for an alternative to homelessness.
A $220,000 high end vehicle is your only alternative to homelessness?
hmm....$220k will buy one of the houses on my street, outright.

Please describe your actual concept, rather than this expensive all-elec thing.

gizmo j

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2013
I'm looking for a solution to homelessness and was inspired by the 'tiny homes' and was thinking I could make a RV with no engine or battery and has solar power and/or a gas powered generator to run appliances.

Oct 30, 2019
Umm sounds interesting but I don't think it complies with the laws of energy conservation. it's like you want to circulate the energy to infinity and that's not possible. you may use your breakings and other resistances to recharge the batteries