Can the HDMI input on my XPS One 2710 display at 2560x1440 resolution?

lip008

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I scored an XPS One at a great price. It has hdmi input but I can't get my gaming laptop to display at the monitor's native resolution when using the hdmi input. If not...it's ok, but I plan on building a new gaming rig and want to use this as the monitor when I want to game at this resolution. Is this possible? I was under the impression that trying to pump this resolution required a dual link DVI cable. Do those tie into one dvi or hdmi cable at the other end? Any advice is appreciated.

poweruser_24

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Depends on the version of HDMI. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Versions

Some versions support higher output. Also the HDMI cable needs to be compatible with the required version of HDMI.

The GT 650M supports HDMI 1.4a so can theoretically run higher res, but this depends on the implementation of the manufacturer, i.e. Dell, and also if the notebook has Optimus, it is possible that the onboard GPU may limit the output res on the HDMI port in order to be able to switch GPU's as necessary.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

You should be able to drive the display at its native resolution. I assume you are trying to display on both the laptop and the One display at the same time. Have you gone into the Nvidia Control Panel and gone through the "Set up multiple displays" section?

lip008

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I was messing around with the Intel dual monitor support but not with Nvidia Control Panel. I shall check that out. The 650M won't run many games well at that high of a resolution but i'm more concerned with a gaming machine being able to use the monitor at it's native resolution. From the wiki it looks like it should be able to unless Dell limits it. I'll try to use the laptop as the tester to push the pixels.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

lip008

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Under Windows Vista/Windows 7

Make sure you have securely connected the additional displays you want to use to the appropriate connections on your NVIDIA-based graphics card installed on your computer.

Verify that your displays are plugged in and turned on.

From the NVIDIA Control Panel navigation tree pane, under Display, click Set up multiple displays to open the page.

I have no display in the tree pane...