[SOLVED] Can the i5-3330 handle rx5500?

Apr 8, 2020
Hey there. Was thinking about buying a new rx570 8gb for my casual gaming rig and noticed these cool rx5500 are just like +$20 in my country. Can my old cpu handle it? By the way, I have 8gb 1333mhz ram and was thinking about upgrading it to 2x 8gb 1600mhz. Was wondering if this may be a good idea, or if I should get another 8gb 1333mhz instead.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
An RX5500 or GTX1650S would be just about the fastest I'd bother putting on an old platform unless you plan to upgrade in the near future. Depending on pricing on the rumored RTX3050, that may be worth considering too - I'd certainly consider a ~$200 RTX2060(S) equivalent to upgrade my i5-3470's GTX1050 so I may be able to play a few more games on my 4k TV without having to nuke all the details.

As far as CPU upgrades go, at this point, I would consider waiting to see how Intel's 11th-gen pans out. That would also give pricing on AMD's Zen 3 some time to settle down and maybe have AMD fill in the lineup with some cheaper non-X models.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
To be honest with you, 8 gigs of RAM and a decade-old CPU won't pair well with anything. If you do upgrade to a higher-spec GPU without changing these, you're going to run into stuttering. Likewise, just adding more RAM likely won't help your performance in games, especially if you're using the integrated graphics on that CPU.

Hey there. Was thinking about buying a new rx570 8gb for my casual gaming rig and noticed these cool rx5500 are just like +$20 in my country. Can my old cpu handle it? By the way, I have 8gb 1333mhz ram and was thinking about upgrading it to 2x 8gb 1600mhz. Was wondering if this may be a good idea, or if I should get another 8gb 1333mhz instead.
Thanks in advance.
What games are u gonna play?You indeed have a 8 year old cpu,but atleast it has 4 cores and 4 threads,which can still play all games in 2020.I'd honestly buy it and here is why:
If u buy 5500 now,when u buy a new cpu (which ur gonna have to buy in 2-3 years at max) its not gonna be trash.You can just drag it for next 5-6 years without any problems.Dont worry about bottlenecking since its not really big of a problem,its not like its not going to work.Take a example out of my friend,he is rocking i3 3220 with a RX 590 8gb,and when he upgrades to 1600AF in a week or so,he is not gonna have any problems with hsi gpu being the weak point.1 think u should check is the power supply.And yeah also a ram upgrade wouldnt hurt

Edit:Oh and yeah what version is the 5500? the 4gb or 8gb ?

Apr 8, 2020
What games are u gonna play?You indeed have a 8 year old cpu,but atleast it has 4 cores and 4 threads,which can still play all games in 2020.I'd honestly buy it and here is why:
If u buy 5500 now,when u buy a new cpu (which ur gonna have to buy in 2-3 years at max) its not gonna be trash.You can just drag it for next 5-6 years without any problems.Dont worry about bottlenecking since its not really big of a problem,its not like its not going to work.Take a example out of my friend,he is rocking i3 3220 with a RX 590 8gb,and when he upgrades to 1600AF in a week or so,he is not gonna have any problems with hsi gpu being the weak point.1 think u should check is the power supply.And yeah also a ram upgrade wouldnt hurt

Edit:Oh and yeah what version is the 5500? the 4gb or 8gb ?

Thanks for your reply. I usually play retro games, pro evolution soccer (probably the most demanding right now), and some of the new ones (RE3 is the latest one i tested). I run them smoothly enough with my rx550 4gb, but I'd like to give my pc a final gpu upgrade. And yeah, i was talking about the rx5500 4gb, the 8gb ones are +$30. Would it be worth it to go for the 8gb card?

Apr 8, 2020
To be honest with you, 8 gigs of RAM and a decade-old CPU won't pair well with anything. If you do upgrade to a higher-spec GPU without changing these, you're going to run into stuttering. Likewise, just adding more RAM likely won't help your performance in games, especially if you're using the integrated graphics on that CPU.
Thanks for your reply. I know my cpu is old enough, I'll have to buy a new one eventually. What would you recommend? The cheapest cpu I could find here is a 10th gen i5. And my question about ram was not really about gaming, I need some more memory for multitasking. For example, I have to restart firefox when a lot of tabs are active in order to run nox smoothly.

iiSlashr

Reputable
Mar 10, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I know my cpu is old enough, I'll have to buy a new one eventually. What would you recommend? The cheapest cpu I could find here is a 10th gen i5. And my question about ram was not really about gaming, I need some more memory for multitasking. For example, I have to restart firefox when a lot of tabs are active in order to run nox smoothly.
A Ryzen 5 2600 is a great bargain, about $130 for 6 cores and 12 threads running higher IPC and overclockable to about 4GHz on stock cooler. You'd need a new motherboard and RAM to go with it, so you may as well grab yourself 16 gigs since it's often only a couple bucks more nowadays.

InvalidError

Titan
An RX5500 or GTX1650S would be just about the fastest I'd bother putting on an old platform unless you plan to upgrade in the near future. Depending on pricing on the rumored RTX3050, that may be worth considering too - I'd certainly consider a ~$200 RTX2060(S) equivalent to upgrade my i5-3470's GTX1050 so I may be able to play a few more games on my 4k TV without having to nuke all the details.

As far as CPU upgrades go, at this point, I would consider waiting to see how Intel's 11th-gen pans out. That would also give pricing on AMD's Zen 3 some time to settle down and maybe have AMD fill in the lineup with some cheaper non-X models.

Solution
Thanks for your reply. I usually play retro games, pro evolution soccer (probably the most demanding right now), and some of the new ones (RE3 is the latest one i tested). I run them smoothly enough with my rx550 4gb, but I'd like to give my pc a final gpu upgrade. And yeah, i was talking about the rx5500 4gb, the 8gb ones are +$30. Would it be worth it to go for the 8gb card?
definitely worth it 30$ more.Its like buying 2-3 extra years of not upgrading

InvalidError

Titan
definitely worth it 30$ more.Its like buying 2-3 extra years of not upgrading
The 4GB RX5500 runs out of compute grunt before running out of VRAM most of the time and for what few cases where it does run of VRAM first, nudging details down a smidge (which you would still have to on the 8GB model just to hit 60fps anyway) can take care of it so I wouldn't expect much extra useful life from doubling VRAM.

The 4GB RX5500 runs out of compute grunt before running out of VRAM most of the time and for what few cases where it does run of VRAM first, nudging details down a smidge (which you would still have to on the 8GB model just to hit 60fps anyway) can take care of it so I wouldn't expect much extra useful life from doubling VRAM.
Thx for input.So is 8gb 5500XT worth it at all,or should people just stick to RX 580 8gb or something else?