[SOLVED] Can the motherboard handle the fans?

Oct 1, 2019
I was just wondering whether my motherboard (MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX) could handle 2 Arctic F12 Fans (ranging from 5-12V) each into 1 fan header on the motherboard.

Solution
Yes, two fans should be fine. You might want to check further into your motherboard specs, but by and large I think most are fine until 3. By the way, those are a darn decent low cost fan. I use a few of them in one of my builds.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, two fans should be fine. You might want to check further into your motherboard specs, but by and large I think most are fine until 3. By the way, those are a darn decent low cost fan. I use a few of them in one of my builds.

Solution
Oct 1, 2019
Okay thanks, I was told that motherboard headers normally have +12V so I was just a little confused.

And yh, those fans are quite good for the price haha

Oct 1, 2019
Just had a thought, what voltage should I set my fans to?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You shouldn't.

There's 2 types of fans. DC have a 3pin connector and are controlled by voltage. That ranges from @ 5v-12v on decent fans, but some Olde junky fans will be 7v-12v. The motherboard changes the voltage to increase/decrease speeds, 5v is slow, 12v is max. Not something you'd control. It's done according to the fan curve settings in bios, according to temp sensors on the board.

The other type is pwm, 4pin, which are 12v always, but the pulse width modulated signal turns the fan on/off. It's always trying to get to max speed, but cannot unless the bios allows max speed from the temp sensor.

Just mount the fans and plug them in. Motherboard will do the rest. If they remain at 100% always, might nerd to go into bios and change the mode from pwm/auto to voltage.