Can the Sony TRV410E be used for pass through capture?

My camcorder is a Sony TRV401E which is PAL. I can record directly from
analogue in to the camcorder where the signal is stored as a digital one.
Is there a way to use the camcorder so that I can capture directly to my
PC using the camcorders firewire input/output connection? I think that it
is possible on some camcorders & they call the feature pass through..

The camcorder can do pass through output.from Vegas Video timeline directly
to TV for preview.

--
Thanks in advance

Rich

"Videot" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> My camcorder is a Sony TRV401E which is PAL. I can record directly from
> analogue in to the camcorder where the signal is stored as a digital one.
> Is there a way to use the camcorder so that I can capture directly to my
> PC using the camcorders firewire input/output connection? I think that it
> is possible on some camcorders & they call the feature pass through..
>
> The camcorder can do pass through output.from Vegas Video timeline
directly
> to TV for preview.
>
> --
> Thanks in advance

EU models of D8 and DV camcorders don't have DV-IN & ANALOG-IN enabled
however it may be possible to enable it according to:
http://lea.hamradio.si/~s51kq/DV-IN.HTM

Rich

Videot wrote:

> My camcorder is a Sony TRV401E which is PAL. [...] Is there a
> way to use the camcorder so that I can capture directly to my
> PC using the camcorders firewire input/output connection?

Most likely yes, but you need to enable this feature on your
nEUtered 410E by changing the firmware settings. The settings
are stored in a flash or battery-backed up memory inside your
camcorder.

Changing the settings does not require opening up the camcorder;
the trick can be done either with a special, wired service remote
which connects to LANC port of your camcorder, or by building a
simple home-made cable which connects the LANC port of your
camcorder to the parallel (printer) port of your PC. (The cable,
of course, needs some software to go with it, but there are
several freeware programs available for this very purpose.)

I have succesfully enabled the analog passthrough feature (as
well as the DV-IN feature, and a couple of other goodies too)
on my TRV210E and it works just fine.

--
znark