[SOLVED] Can the wrong model numbers on a fully modular PSU cause damage to my rig?

May 5, 2021
I bought my daughter an EVGA 220-GT-0750-RX from their B stock product list. The full description is Part Number: 220-GT-0750-RX

Description: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GT, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Auto Eco Mode with FDB Fan, 1 Year Warranty, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-GT-0750-RX. After hooking it all up and powering on it didn't appear to be working, The fan did not spin at all. The mobo had no lights on but the keyboard and mouse were lit up, nothing else. We re checked the connections and decided it was DOA. So, she and I put in her old Rosewell psu and the computer turned on as it should and SEEMED ok. An hour or so later her computer starting acting off, the RGB lights on the motherboard dimmed, the RBG ram dimmed and one of her usb ports just stopped working. Meanwhile I contacted EVGA support about the DOA unit. The very first question was "Can you confirm that the 24 pin motherboard cable is marked for GT and not something else?" After looking over the cable is was NOT marked GT it was marked GA which is a different model for a different psu they have. Would this cause a power surge or cause damage to her computer? It was fine before and not fine after. I haven't heard back from EVGA yet but I have a very unhappy child. She got a job so she could build her first pc. I thought I was doing her a favor by buying her a new psu and instead it seems to have ruined it.

Solution
The OEM for the EVGA GT is HEC/Compucase while the GA is Andyson. It is entirely possible the 24 PIN cable is pinned differently between the two units and so could easily cause damage, its also possible that even if the cable wasn't pinned differently, that the PSU being defective caused some damage.

You really need EVGA to reply and IMO I would push them on their fault in the issue.
If the wrong cable was used it's possible there could be damage.
Although that would be quite a mistake by EVGA.
I think you need to hear back from EVGA to get a definitive answer.
Either that...or you might be able to figure it out yourself with a multimeter.

"put in her old Rosewell psu "
Why weren't you using this to begin with?
Was it for this machine?
...another machine?

Reactions: Ralston18
May 5, 2021
If the wrong cable was used it's possible there could be damage.
Although that would be quite a mistake by EVGA.
I think you need to hear back from EVGA to get a definitive answer.
Either that...or you might be able to figure it out yourself with a multimeter.

"put in her old Rosewell psu "
Why weren't you using this to begin with?
Was it for this machine?
...another machine?
When she was building her computer she had saved enough money for the motherboard, cpu, ram and a case. I gave her my old Rosewill 500 watt power supply from an older build that we cannibalized. I also gave her a graphics card( old evga 2gb 730). She was going to upgrade as she could afford it. She's 16. Recently I was on evga's site looking for gpu's when I saw that I could get her a new higher wattage power supply so I did. It was meant to be a good thing.

Ralston18

Titan
Seconding @jay32267

Motherboard: make and model? Other hardware specs?

All in all it may well depend on EVGA's response.

Just to provide a bit of a "heads up" or a way to foresee what they may come back with:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59698

Messy but if you work out the details and possibilities as best you can, in advance, then you may be able to counter any responses (right, wrong, or indifferent) on EVGA's part.

As for the old Roswell PSU, my hope would be that even though the PSU appeared to work at first, something in the new build simply took the PSU over some power demand threshold and the PSU faltered/ failed.

Multi-meter:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

When she was building her computer she had saved enough money for the motherboard, cpu, ram and a case. I gave her my old Rosewill 500 watt power supply from an older build that we cannibalized. I also gave her a graphics card( old evga 2gb 730). She was going to upgrade as she could afford it. She's 16. Recently I was on evga's site looking for gpu's when I saw that I could get her a new higher wattage power supply so I did. It was meant to be a good thing.
As far as the EVGA...I think EVGA either needs to get back to you...or if you can figure it out with a multimeter then great (you should be able to by looking at the PSU and MB pinouts if you are familiar with things like this).

...as far as the Rosewill...it may be just heating up and causing this>>>"An hour or so later her computer starting acting off ".

May 5, 2021
Seconding @jay32267

Motherboard: make and model? Other hardware specs?

All in all it may well depend on EVGA's response.

Just to provide a bit of a "heads up" or a way to foresee what they may come back with:

https://www.evga.com/support/faq/FAQdetails.aspx?faqid=59698

Messy but if you work out the details and possibilities as best you can, in advance, then you may be able to counter any responses (right, wrong, or indifferent) on EVGA's part.

As for the old Roswell PSU, my hope would be that even though the PSU appeared to work at first, something in the new build simply took the PSU over some power demand threshold and the PSU faltered/ failed.

Multi-meter:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158
First of all thank you for your assistance. I really, really appreciate it. The motherboard is a gigabyte aorus b450 m, the CPU is a AMD ryzen 5 2600, 64GB ofCORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 3GHz PC4-24000 DDR4. And I was wrong on the graphics card it is EVGA 1050 ti 2GB. (Yes it's old but we couldnt get a good one yet). Thanks again for your input I'm going to look at testing with a multimeter.

May 5, 2021
First of all thank you for your assistance. I really, really appreciate it. The motherboard is a gigabyte aorus b450 m, the CPU is a AMD ryzen 5 2600, 64GB ofCORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 3GHz PC4-24000 DDR4. And I was wrong on the graphics card it is EVGA 1050 ti 2GB. (Yes it's old but we couldnt get a good one yet). Thanks again for your input I'm going to look at testing with a multimeter.
CORRECTION: Its 32 gb of ram not 64

Ralston18

Titan
Will add another link:

Best Power Supplies of 2021 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware

Not with the immediate intent of purchasing a new PSU.

Just use two or three of the provided calculators to determine how much power the new build may require and just how much that power demand may have pushed the old Roswell PSU towards the edge.

Or if the new PSU is up to the task - heavy gaming.....

If any components provide a range of wattage values use the high end value.

The current GPU specs indicate a recommended 300 watt or better power supply.

Therefore, I would expect 750 watts to be sufficient.

Hopefully just a Roswell PSU and/or mismatched power cable problem then.

May 5, 2021
Thanks again. I wanted to add the computer was initially assembled in late November 2020 and had been working as it should up until May 2nd when the new power supply was installed and found to be non working.
She does play fortnite, sea of thieves and the forest among other games. She mainly uses it for gaming hours on end.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The OEM for the EVGA GT is HEC/Compucase while the GA is Andyson. It is entirely possible the 24 PIN cable is pinned differently between the two units and so could easily cause damage, its also possible that even if the cable wasn't pinned differently, that the PSU being defective caused some damage.

You really need EVGA to reply and IMO I would push them on their fault in the issue.

Reactions: EvaDt
Solution

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
You would think after enough time / complaints PSU manufacturers would get their <Mod Edit> together and standardize on BOTH ENDS of modular cables. When I started reading this thread I was like 'why would a GT or GA have different pinouts'...oh modular cross vendor crap, nice.

The older Roswill might be having issues / trouble (can't rule that out). Stick to your guns, ask for a replacement PSU with the correct cable and if that doesn't rectify the problem press EVGA on the 'mismatched' modular cable they sent. (If you can verify the cables are different it would help.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

ps. Last thought, re-check the connections on the 500W Rosewill and other MB connections that could have popped loose during the recent power-swap-palooza. (was the USB port that died on the MB or chassis front?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: EvaDt
May 5, 2021
Suggestions any one? EVGA wrote back. I think I was blown off. The said "
HI
We do apologize for that. If the cables are wrong , we can just send out a full set of cables and that should resolve the issue. Please let us know if that is ok, or do you still wish to do an RMA.

Regards,
EVGA "

May 5, 2021
You would think after enough time / complaints PSU manufacturers would get their sh*t together and standardize on BOTH ENDS of modular cables. When I started reading this thread I was like 'why would a GT or GA have different pinouts'...oh modular cross vendor crap, nice.

The older Roswill might be having issues / trouble (can't rule that out). Stick to your guns, ask for a replacement PSU with the correct cable and if that doesn't rectify the problem press EVGA on the 'mismatched' modular cable they sent. (If you can verify the cables are different it would help.)

Good luck and keep us posted.

ps. Last thought, re-check the connections on the 500W Rosewill and other MB connections that could have popped loose during the recent power-swap-palooza. (was the USB port that died on the MB or chassis front?)

The 3.1 ports on the motherboard (I actually haven't checked the case one) will randomly go out and when they do all the rgb lights on the motherboard and the ram dim and my daughter can visibly see the cpu cooling fan slow down.

I ordered her a different motherboard yesterday and replied to EVGA and asked for a different power supply with the right cables and in that message I wanted someone to address the issue of whether or not it could have done damage to her computer.

So, hopefully I can get her up and running and have less drama, it's been high stress around here. She just got over covid and gaming was the only thing that got her through it mentally. It sucks being housebound and miserable, I am sure we can all relate to that.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Reactions: AntonyLovric
May 5, 2021
Any chance you can check the motherboard drivers?

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/azttyq/usb_issues_b450_aorus_m/

(Wondering if USB power saving is the culprit. RGB light controller is probably on the USB bus?)

Thanks for the info! At this point I am just giving up and waiting for the new motherboard that I ordered for her to come.

EVGA wrote me again and I've given up on them too... Too much frustration at this point.

If anyone want to know this is what they said to me,

"Hello,

Thank you for reaching out. The GT series has an auto eco mode, which makes it fail the paper clip test. We suggest trying the 24 pin motherboard or the cpu cables and turning on the power supply. This acts as a paper clip test. Also, have you tried the system with another power supply? The issue you are having with the motherboard was likely caused by the 24 pin having an extra grounding pin. It looks like the all the other cables have the exact same pin layout. I've made a request for a replacement 24 pin cable to be sent out to you. Please allow 1-3 business days for this to be sent out. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
EVGA"

That was after I asked to do a cross RMA and just get a different PSU. It would help if they READ the previous messages which detailed that I had used a different power supply, etc...
I am done with it all. EVGA has lost my business from now on. They could have handled things better in the customer service department. Like actually answering questions the first time and doing what they said they would do in their first response to me. Who sends out the wrong cables with their product? Like, seriously???

THANK YOU to everyone who took the time to respond with ideas and suggestions. You are all amazing, keep on!