Question Can these problems be attributed to PSU failure?

May 18, 2020
Last month, I've built a new PC with virtually zero knowledge about PC part, and picked a bad noname PSU (Gamemax GP650).

At first, everything works fine, but 1-2 weeks later, I have been getting a lot of BSOD under heavy load, like running AAA games. 1-2 days later, it's getting worse, no BSOD anymore but the PC completely freezes then monitor displays no signal. The tower itself still looks powered, fans are running as usual and my RAM appears to be still working (they've got this RGB lighting), but the PC is completely unresponsive, until I pressed the reset button.

The next day make it worse, I can't even open any lightweight game like Dota 2 or Warframe, PC immediately restarted. That, or I got BSOD, or the freeze no signal like in previous day. Seems to be random which problem that I got, either restart, freeze, or BSOD.

Following some advices and guides online, I tried to run MemTest, and all passed with no errors. Then I tried OCCT. There are 5 test in OCCT, I tried to ran each for 15 minutes. I can do OCCT, LINPACK, MEMTEST, and POWER for 15 minutes each without problem, but running the 3D test immediately restarted the PC after 1 or 2 seconds of running. I glimpsed it throws me bunch of error before the PC restarted.

My question is, are they signs of PSU failure? If it is, why can I ran OCCT POWER, which stresses the PSU, without trouble? I doubt it is graphic card problem as I don't have a dedicated GPU, using an AMD 3400G, but the OCCT 3D, that stresses the GPU, instantly restarted my PC, however, running FurMark 3D, which also stresses the GPU, it was fine and completed without error.

This probably would have been easy to diagnose if I can get myself a spare PSU, but I can't due to where I live, at least not for 2-3 months when I am able to visit the city. Is there any further test that I can do to ascertain that this is indeed a PSU problem?

Apologize for engrish and possibly my lack of understanding of the internal working of a PC, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last month, I've built a new PC with virtually zero knowledge about PC part, and picked a bad noname PSU (Gamemax GP650).

At first, everything works fine, but 1-2 weeks later, I have been getting a lot of BSOD under heavy load, like running AAA games. 1-2 days later, it's getting worse, no BSOD anymore but the PC completely freezes then monitor displays no signal. The tower itself still looks powered, fans are running as usual and my RAM appears to be still working (they've got this RGB lighting), but the PC is completely unresponsive, until I pressed the reset button.

The next day make it worse, I can't even open any lightweight game like Dota 2 or Warframe, PC immediately restarted. That, or I got BSOD, or the freeze no signal like in previous day. Seems to be random which problem that I got, either restart, freeze, or BSOD.

Following some advices and guides online, I tried to run MemTest, and all passed with no errors. Then I tried OCCT. There are 5 test in OCCT, I tried to ran each for 15 minutes. I can do OCCT, LINPACK, MEMTEST, and POWER for 15 minutes each without problem, but running the 3D test immediately restarted the PC after 1 or 2 seconds of running. I glimpsed it throws me bunch of error before the PC restarted.

My question is, are they signs of PSU failure? If it is, why can I ran OCCT POWER, which stresses the PSU, without trouble? I doubt it is graphic card problem as I don't have a dedicated GPU, using an AMD 3400G, but the OCCT 3D, that stresses the GPU, instantly restarted my PC, however, running FurMark 3D, which also stresses the GPU, it was fine and completed without error.

This probably would have been easy to diagnose if I can get myself a spare PSU, but I can't due to where I live, at least not for 2-3 months when I am able to visit the city. Is there any further test that I can do to ascertain that this is indeed a PSU problem?

Apologize for engrish and possibly my lack of understanding of the internal working of a PC, and any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I can tell you that the PSU you picked isn't good. It isn't even a 650W PSU despite what it says on the label. For over 10 years now most of what is done on a computer goes over the 12V line. That PSU only does 528W over the 12V, so your 650W PSU is really 528W. It is something that I would replace sooner rather than later as it could be a serious problem. All that said, there is no way that your computer is using anywhere close to that amount of power. Since everything is happening when the system is doing 3D stuff, my guess is you either have a bad driver, bad iGPU (least likely), or the CPU cooler is getting overloaded and causing things to lockup. First I would attempt the driver fix. Use DDU to completely remove the current driver and install the newest one from AMD's website. Either use the auto detect option or be sure you choose "Processor with Graphics." If this doesn't fix the issue then it might be heat related. You can look into either redoing your thermal paste or getting a new CPU cooler. While the Ryzen 3400G doesn't need a huge cooler, if you got something with a little more power it could be used for upgraded CPUs later. Here are a few ideas.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.39 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler ($57.97 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler ($46.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $184.06
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-28 08:37 EDT-0400

The Cooler Master 212 and Be Quiet Pure Rock will remove the least amount of heat between the 4, with an ability to move 125-150W of heat. The Shadow Rock 3 and Arctic eSports can do about 190W of heat.

May 18, 2020
All that said, there is no way that your computer is using anywhere close to that amount of power.
Yes, this is one of the reason of my doubting about PSU problem.

Since everything is happening when the system is doing 3D stuff, my guess is you either have a bad driver, bad iGPU (least likely), or the CPU cooler is getting overloaded and causing things to lockup. First I would attempt the driver fix. Use DDU to completely remove the current driver and install the newest one from AMD's website. Either use the auto detect option or be sure you choose "Processor with Graphics."
I already tried 20.4.2, 20.2.2, and Windows Update provided driver, with DDU in between in safe mode. All gives similar results.

If this doesn't fix the issue then it might be heat related. You can look into either redoing your thermal paste.
Going to try this next but I'm not really sure it would help as the PC is newly built and by running HWInfo I logged temperatures is still way below 70C when the PC is working fine, and can sustain it for hours of game. Now it dies at 55C or less, just when the game is just started. Will report the result.

or getting a new CPU cooler. While the Ryzen 3400G doesn't need a huge cooler, if you got something with a little more power it could be used for upgraded CPUs later.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is the only one that is available in my market, but for the same cost as that (and since my budget is limited), I could get a new PSU like Super Flower Bronze KING 550W or Corsair CX550 (not sure which is better).
In your opinion, which should I prioritize, the CPU cooler or get new PSU?

Yes, this is one of the reason of my doubting about PSU problem.

I already tried 20.4.2, 20.2.2, and Windows Update provided driver, with DDU in between in safe mode. All gives similar results.

Going to try this next but I'm not really sure it would help as the PC is newly built and by running HWInfo I logged temperatures is still way below 70C when the PC is working fine, and can sustain it for hours of game. Now it dies at 55C or less, just when the game is just started. Will report the result.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is the only one that is available in my market, but for the same cost as that (and since my budget is limited), I could get a new PSU like Super Flower Bronze KING 550W or Corsair CX550 (not sure which is better).
In your opinion, which should I prioritize, the CPU cooler or get new PSU?
I'd try PSU and go with the CX550. Super Flower does make some very good PSUs, like their Leadex series, but I don't know anything about the Bronze King. I do know that the CX500 is a good budget PSU, you just have to make sure it is the 2017 version or later. You can use this guide to help decipher the Corsair CX listings: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16610-Corsair-CX-and-CX-M-quot-cheat-sheet-quot Make sure that the product number matches the Current Versions of the CX lines. The reason is the older CX PSUs were not good. Conversely you can look here and have ideas on decent budget PSUs. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/#post-21736677 Jonnyguru is a well know PSU reviewer and the website jonnyguru.com is the gold standard for PSU reviews.

May 18, 2020
I'd try PSU and go with the CX550. Super Flower does make some very good PSUs, like their Leadex series, but I don't know anything about the Bronze King. I do know that the CX500 is a good budget PSU, you just have to make sure it is the 2017 version or later. You can use this guide to help decipher the Corsair CX listings: http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?16610-Corsair-CX-and-CX-M-quot-cheat-sheet-quot Make sure that the product number matches the Current Versions of the CX lines. The reason is the older CX PSUs were not good. Conversely you can look here and have ideas on decent budget PSUs. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/recommended-psu-to-buy.3603290/#post-21736677 Jonnyguru is a well know PSU reviewer and the website jonnyguru.com is the gold standard for PSU reviews.

CX500 is discontinued based on that jonnyguru forum list, so I'm going with your CX550 recommendation. Though I have no way of knowing the product number or year version, as it's not listed anywhere, I just have to take the seller's word with faith.

I will start saving up then, do you think the wattage will be enough? I'm planning to upgrade this PC through the next couple years and I very much like my PSU to be working properly all these time.
My final build would look something like:
  • Ryzen 3600X
  • RTX 2060S
  • 2 sticks of RAM
  • 1 M.2 SSD and 1 HDD
  • 8+2 12mm fan
Already tried https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it says 450W, but I'm skeptical about it, since it recommend me the Gamemax Modular 850W Gold, almost double the 450W required, and it is the very brand of bad PSU that I'm using right now..

CX500 is discontinued based on that jonnyguru forum list, so I'm going with your CX550 recommendation. Though I have no way of knowing the product number or year version, as it's not listed anywhere, I just have to take the seller's word with faith.

I will start saving up then, do you think the wattage will be enough? I'm planning to upgrade this PC through the next couple years and I very much like my PSU to be working properly all these time.
My final build would look something like:
  • Ryzen 3600X
  • RTX 2060S
  • 2 sticks of RAM
  • 1 M.2 SSD and 1 HDD
  • 8+2 12mm fan
Already tried https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator and it says 450W, but I'm skeptical about it, since it recommend me the Gamemax Modular 850W Gold, almost double the 450W required, and it is the very brand of bad PSU that I'm using right now..
I see the recommended PSU. I wonder if it bases that on what is currently available. Here in the USA it is almost impossible to find good PSUs and when you do they are way over priced. That means we are then left with the garbage. For your setup it is recommending a 450W and a 550W will provide a bit of flexibility. For most gaming systems you do not need more than 550-650W PSUs. If you were able to afford a better PSU than the CX550 I would do that. While the CX line isn't bad, there are a lot of very good PSUs that don't cost much more than it. If possible go for one of these:

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro
Corsair - TX-M, RM(x), or AX
Seasonic - Focus GX, GM, or PX
EVGA - Supernova G+ or G3
Bitfenix BF550G

All of those are 80+ Gold or better for efficiency and have high build quality. The all have 5+ year warranties as well.

May 18, 2020
I see the recommended PSU. I wonder if it bases that on what is currently available. Here in the USA it is almost impossible to find good PSUs and when you do they are way over priced. That means we are then left with the garbage. For your setup it is recommending a 450W and a 550W will provide a bit of flexibility. For most gaming systems you do not need more than 550-650W PSUs. If you were able to afford a better PSU than the CX550 I would do that. While the CX line isn't bad, there are a lot of very good PSUs that don't cost much more than it. If possible go for one of these:

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro
Corsair - TX-M, RM(x), or AX
Seasonic - Focus GX, GM, or PX
EVGA - Supernova G+ or G3
Bitfenix BF550G

All of those are 80+ Gold or better for efficiency and have high build quality. The all have 5+ year warranties as well.

The Antec one cost over 50% of Corsair CX-650, the rest of them at least double the price of it.. I bought the CX-650 instead since it only $7 more than CX-550. Also got a CPU cooler, it's not cooler master but according to reviews and test it is slightly better than Cooler Master 212 Hyper, and I got a new case while I'm at it, this one has way better airflow than my previous case also the PSU is bottom mounted allowing bigger CPU cooler.

But... all of these doesn't alleviate my problem at all, still freezes and BSOD. I got a a bit lower GPU (APU) temperature from 60C to 58C max, but the issue persist. The drop isn't that much since my APU isn't that hot to begin with I guess.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Check your bios version. It probably needs updating, and WILL need any additional media files as it's a 3400G and has an igpu. Start from your bios and work your way UP the list, following any and all necessary steps. More than likely need 2 or 3 updates on order.

Ypu are using ram in the correct slot (A2 is for single, A2/B2 for dual)?

You are using the gpu outputs and not the motherboard outputs?

May 18, 2020
Check your bios version. It probably needs updating,

Alright, would you please walk me through it? I checked my BIOS/UEFI version and it is P3.70, it is the latest version according to this website.

and WILL need any additional media files as it's a 3400G and has an igpu. Start from your bios and work your way UP the list, following any and all necessary steps. More than likely need 2 or 3 updates on order.

What media files and where would I get them?

Ypu are using ram in the correct slot (A2 is for single, A2/B2 for dual)?

Can't be wrong, my motherboard only has 2 RAM slots, and I tried to MemTest86 each of my RAM stick, on each slot, 4 passes, took a almost 12 hours total, no error found.

You are using the gpu outputs and not the motherboard outputs?

As I am not using dedicated graphic card, I am using the motherboard output by HDMI, probably unrelated by I tried it on my LG 1080p monitor, on my Samsung 1080p TV, and my Sharp 720p TV, but no differences.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. So latest bios, good, you'll already have the media files. 2 slots makes things easy lol. DDU won't do you any good, no gpu. The igpu is different.

What about the motherboard chipset drivers? That's on same website you posted under downloads. The All in one package, top download.

May 18, 2020
What about the motherboard chipset drivers? That's on same website you posted under downloads. The All in one package, top download.

I already installed that first thing first, and the problem already there since the beginning. Since the AMD All in 1 is basically just VGA + Chipset driver, and I thought upgrading to newer driver would fix the problem (it did not), the All in 1 driver is already overwritten by newer version I got from AMD website, Adrenalin 20.5.1 and AMD Chipset Driver for B450 motherboard.

Well I tried DDU anyway and tried different version of AMD Adrenalin, still can't find solution.