Can these two kinds of pictures be taken with a digital ca..

I was thinking about getting my G5, putting it on a skyward pointing tripod
and
1 - taking a 15 second exposure of the night time sky to see more stars that
I could see with my naked eye

and setting the tripod towards the evening/night sky (but not straight up)
and
2 - using the intervalvometer to take time lapse photos so that I can have
the path of the stars.

The only problem I can think of that noise would overcome the pictures. Is
there a way to do this without that happening?
Thanks
Richard

"marlinspike" <rishayegan@davidson.edu> wrote in message
> I was thinking about getting my G5, putting it on a skyward pointing
tripod
> and
> 1 - taking a 15 second exposure of the night time sky to see more stars
that
> I could see with my naked eye
>
> and setting the tripod towards the evening/night sky (but not straight up)
> and
> 2 - using the intervalvometer to take time lapse photos so that I can have
> the path of the stars.
>
> The only problem I can think of that noise would overcome the pictures. Is
> there a way to do this without that happening?
> Thanks
> Richard

The only way to reduce the noise is by cooling the sensor far below 0
degrees. Some cameras let you record a photo with the lens cap on, then
subtract that from the real photo. It doesn't help very much with noise.

Some cameras can be made to take photos at timed intervals when connected to
a computer with the right software. You have to check the detailed specs of
each camera.

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:51:07 -0400, "marlinspike"
<rishayegan@davidson.edu> vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>I was thinking about getting my G5, putting it on a skyward pointing tripod
>and
>1 - taking a 15 second exposure of the night time sky to see more stars that
>I could see with my naked eye

>The only problem I can think of that noise would overcome the pictures. Is
>there a way to do this without that happening?
>Thanks
>Richard

When I first tried this I was amazed! So many stars.....I think you
can guess the sad truth. When I took a lens cap shot, there were
nearly as many stars. Some cameras are better than others. My Oly 750
has the ability to cancel "noise" when taking shots, but I get the
strong impression that the noise will include many other points of
light. I subtracted the lens cap shot from the star shot and noticed a
vast improvement. But since that rather crushing effort I have not
really tried again.

If the camera has interval shooting then the second part should work.
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

TRENDING THREADS