Can this build run the latest & upcoming games at 60 FPS in 1440p?

hw7777

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I just finished putting a new PC together and am trying to decide whether it is worthwhile to buy a 1440p monitor. I'm currently using a 23" 1080p Acer and would like to upgrade to a 27" 1440p, however, i've done a bit of reading on this site and it seems it takes quite a bit of processing power to run the latest games at 60FPS in 1440p.

So below are the specs for my rig. I have no plans for SLI anytime soon so if the specs are not good enough to consistently output ~60FPS then i would rather just hold off on the new monitor. Thanks!

- i7 4790k (not overclocked, stock at 4ghz)
- ASROCK z97 extreme 4
- 16GB DDR3
- EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 4GB

Current and upcoming games i intent to run: Dark Souls II, Shadow of Mordor, Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, etc

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Probably not as a minimum FPS with highest in-game settings, no. Maybe as an average FPS. But of course it will depend on the game. And if on-line multipliayer, how many other players have to be rendered and calculated.

hw7777

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
I rarely play online, tho many single player games do have some online components (i.e., dark souls series)... as for game settings, ideally everything in ultra, but willing to settle with just high :)

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
For single player gaming you should be able to max out settings and stay at or near 60 FPS for a minimum except in really graphically demanding games. One that comes to mind is Crysis 3. I have not quite been able to play that with all settings maxed out with smooth frame rates (?? FPS) and I doubt your system would either. Definitely not while maintaining 60 FPS minimum.

But keep in mind, anything above 30 FPS will look smooth to the human eye.

chenw

Honorable
Only if it is constant 30 fps, not average 30 fps. Games rarely are able to maintain the 30 fps all the time like in movies, might experience hiccups.

Also if you are not planning to SLI, I'd actually drop the CPU and Mobo some and save some money. That rig setup is probably more suited to an SLI setup (assuming you use this only for gaming and no other CPU intensive stuff).

hw7777

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
Thankfully i was never a huge fan of crysis so not able to run 60 fps really won't bother me.

As for the rig, it's already done and paid for. I'm just not planning to run sli in the near term, but will consider it in another year or two when the price of 970 comes down more.

But thanks for all the input, I think I will just go ahead and get the monitor.