Question Can This Corrupt Windows 10?

bburko01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017
I’m just curious, After correctly shutting down a PC is it ok to regularly shut power off at the end of the day via the toggle switch on the PSU?

Just asking because this has been a habit of mine for a long time but I’ve had a lot of issues with Windows 10 in the last six months. Just finished my 3rd complete reinstall. Backups won’t work (question for another forum).

I’m making 3 ISOs (DVD, USB and external HD) of OS this time after I finish reinstalling all my software.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try turning Fast Startup off

with it on, windows isn't actually off when you shut it down, its in a hybred hibernate state, where it saves a copy of all running drivers + windows kernel into ram at shutdown, so when you start PC again, its half loaded and loads faster

with it on, and you unplugging like that, you can corrupt windows files.

Turning it off means PC is actually off when shutdown, and you can unplug it without worrying about it being corrupted. Also, if you have an ssd, you won't notice a difference as the feature mostly benefits hdd.

bburko01

Honorable
Jan 24, 2017
Try turning Fast Startup off

with it on, windows isn't actually off when you shut it down, its in a hybred hibernate state, where it saves a copy of all running drivers + windows kernel into ram at shutdown, so when you start PC again, its half loaded and loads faster

with it on, and you unplugging like that, you can corrupt windows files.

Turning it off means PC is actually off when shutdown, and you can unplug it without worrying about it being corrupted. Also, if you have an ssd, you won't notice a difference as the feature mostly benefits hdd.
Thanks for getting back to me Colif, but just to make sure we're on the same page. I don't unplug the computer while it's on. First I do the Start>Power>Shutdown. Then after it shuts off then I hit the switch on the PSU.

So is your above suggestion still what should be used?

Thanks again

Colif

Win 11 Master
Thanks for getting back to me Colif, but just to make sure we're on the same page. I don't unplug the computer while it's on. First I do the Start>Power>Shutdown. Then after it shuts off then I hit the switch on the PSU.

Yes. Even if you turn PC completely off, if you have fast startup turned on, the PC is not actually off. Its asleep, its using a tiny amount of power to keep a small file alive in ram, so when you restart PC it will be half loaded already.

Only way a Win 10 PC is actually off is with Fast startup turned off.

I do it myself, many nights in summer I will unplug PC to avoid thunderstorms during the night. I turn fast startup off for most of those months. Its only in winter it goes on again.

Reactions: bburko01

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have always turned my PC's off by the PSU switch. Never had a single issue.

I have helped others who have had corrupted files resulting from unplugging PC and disconnecting drives in PC, or simply just unplugging the PC itself. It is true I only see the problem cases since most people without problems don't come to the forums to ask about non existent problems - just as well I think.

Reactions: bburko01

TRENDING THREADS