Can this Game and Edit video?

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
I am looking to build a new PC. I used the sticky to outline my needs and put a sample build at the bottom. Thanks for all your help in advance!

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 months (might wait for Haswell reviews)
Budget Range: Trying to stay near $100 After Rebates; After Shipping

Why am I Upgrading: My Intel Core 2 Duo I built in 2006 cannot handle the 1080p 60fps HD video from my video camera. It can play in WMP (not in VLC, it stutters badly) with minimal stuttering but can be jolty. Editing said video is painful.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: As stated above I need something that can handle the video editing of my new daughter’s videos. I don’t need the highest speeds just something that is competent. Also, I want to replace my XBOX 360 with something that I can take advantage of all those wonderful game sales on steam and GMG. Something powerful enough to transcode my rips on the fly to my Xbox would be icing on the cake.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: Whole Build. I am keeping the Core 2 duo intact to use a XMBC server.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: US online retailers and anyone in Bham AL

Overclocking: Yes though this would be my first attempt. The processor I picked will be unlocked and from what I have read on Tom’s and Anandtech I should be able to get a modest OC without having to worry about durability

SLI or Crossfire: No. For budget reasons I want to stick with one card unless there’s a good reason not to.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p TV for gaming, not sure for editing.

Additional Comments: I am curious about a few things. Realistically, how good is the gaming performance on my build at 1080p with current games and how long will it be able to continue providing better than console performance? Would I need to budget for a dual gpu setup in the future to keep up with games? Would this setup be able to handle AA and AF settings in most games at high details and 1080p resolution?

Here’s the build (Another 3570k Tahiti LE Build):

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvaP Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvaP/by_merchant/ Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HvaP/benchmarks/
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Outlet PC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($115.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Mac Mall)

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Full Tower Case ($112.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($74.98 @ SuperBiiz)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1059.87 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.) (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-03-04 15:32 EST-0500)

Solution
Considering that your prospective build is better than the new consoles coming out, you can expect better than console performance for the next 5 years or so. With that said, Crysis 3 gave the 7870 a run for its money on the new Tom's benchmark article. However, Crysis 3 on low settings is better looking than most games on highest settings. Since you will only be using one monitor for your gaming, the 7870 should do well. Personally, I have a 6950, which is faster than the 7850, but not as fast as the 7870. I only paid $170 for it. . .

dragonlord12832

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Considering that your prospective build is better than the new consoles coming out, you can expect better than console performance for the next 5 years or so. With that said, Crysis 3 gave the 7870 a run for its money on the new Tom's benchmark article. However, Crysis 3 on low settings is better looking than most games on highest settings. Since you will only be using one monitor for your gaming, the 7870 should do well. Personally, I have a 6950, which is faster than the 7850, but not as fast as the 7870. I only paid $170 for it. . .

Solution