Question Can this laptop be repaired ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 19, 2020
Hi everyone,

Some month ago, one of my friend probably killed my HP Envy 13 (ad-003nf) by causing an electrical overload to one of its USB port. When it happened, the screen turned off immediatly, and the computer never started again. I bought a new computer since, but as it is a 1300e laptop, I can't just throw it away without trying to repair it.

When I plug the power on, the LED on the start button turns on, but nothing happen, and the Charging Led remains turned off.

I tried to plug an external HDD to an USB C port which can charge an external device even when the computer is not running, and the LED on the HDD do turns on.

I guess the motherboard is dead... Can somebody confirm that ?

Thank you for your response !

Have a great day

Apr 19, 2020
You can flash the BIOS IC with a clip, just need to make the mod to that device you bought... But so far this does not seem to be the problem.

I will try that, but as I said, I do not have what is required to do soldering. I am going to try to find it by asking to some friends, but I am not sure I will find everything. If I don't, I am not sure I can make this mod.. Is it the only way ?

I did find the pin on the KBC that is connected to the EN pin of the VR controller . 2 actually, and both shows a 2.1 ohms resistance between EN pin and KBC pin.

I also found the pin on the KBC which is linked to the power button.

When the power is plugged but the power button not pressed, this pin has 3.3V. When I press the power button, it goes down to 0V. But on the KBC pin which is linked to the EN, It stays at 0V, not matter if I press the button or not...

Hope it will helps, sorry if it is not clear. If not, ask me and I will reexplain as best as I can !

Thanks again

Apr 19, 2020
I think the best for me is to make this mod

https://abload.de/img/3.3vfixq5cpf.jpg

Then, I received the bios file, but do you have a guide or something which explains how to use the programmer ?

I did find the pin on the KBC that is connected to the EN pin of the VR controller . 2 actually, and both shows a 2.1 ohms resistance between EN pin and KBC pin.

When the power is plugged but the power button not pressed, this pin has 3.3V. When I press the power button, it goes down to 0V. But on the KBC pin which is linked to the EN, It stays at 0V, not matter if I press the button or not...

About these observations, nothing we can sort out ?

I think the best for me is to make this mod

https://abload.de/img/3.3vfixq5cpf.jpg
Be careful not to break the leg when you lift it off the board and apply insulating tape underneath, they brake off easily.

Then, I received the bios file, but do you have a guide or something which explains how to use the programmer ?
Guide.

About these observations, nothing we can sort out?
We can with schematics, without we are sort of blind. I would try ordering and changing the KBC, but there may be some signal it is not receiving from elsewhere and it would be hard to trace without schematics. Authorized repair centers have them from the manufacturer.

You can try to order the IC and then bring it to an electronics repair shop and ask them to change it for you.

About these observations, nothing we can sort out ?
There may be a logical element in between (AND or OR function). Can't tell w/o schematics.

When the power is plugged but the power button not pressed, this pin has 3.3V. When I press the power button, it goes down to 0V.
Good, the button works the way it should. The pull-up power is there too.

But on the KBC pin which is linked to the EN, It stays at 0V, not matter if I press the button or not...
Bad. Something is not making the KBC start, either it is faulty or there is a problem with some condition not met for it to give the start signal. No schematics...

P.S There is usually a start-up sequence logic diagram, schematics, and a whole service kit that is the key to tracing issues. It is not given out to the public, only authorized repair centers have access to it. Sometimes it is leaked out and you can find one online.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2020
Thing is, I can't find any authorized repairs shop on the HP Website that is located in France.. But I am going to try to flash BIOS, and ask if a repair center can changed the KBC for me, and I will see. I think there is nothing more I can do with my own gears and skills

Apr 19, 2020
Hi have contacted several repair shop, but they all say that this is a bga chip, and the replacement is too difficult for them ...

Maybe the french repair shop are not as skilled as yours :sweatsmile:

To be honest I don't see what I can do now, apart from buying a whole new MB... Especially as we are not even sure that this chip is the faulty one..
I am still waiting for answers of some repair shop, but chances are slim

ontacted several repair shop, but they all say that this is a bga chip, and the replacement is too difficult for them
That sounds awkward. The next ones to try are TV repair shops, audio equipment repair shops, etc. I can't believe that none deals with a small BGA in the whole country. Graphic cards and CPUs are much harder and require infrared equipment to replace, but those are small and will do just fine with a fan.

As for a whole motherboard - that's' the easiest and the priciest option.

Apr 19, 2020
Some news. I got the mod made on the programmer, so I will probably try it in the next dew days.

For the bga chip, I received 2 positive answers. It would cost me between 60 to 90 € for the replacement, chip excluded. I would do it without hesitation if we were sure it could solve the problem, but as far as we know, it might not.

Do you suggest it is worth to try ?

Thanks for the great help again.

Apr 19, 2020
I can't find the exact same model ( apart from some websites, offering it for around 900€..) But I found some of the same series. It should be compatible, as everything apart from SSD, screen, fans, touchpad and keyboard is directly on the motherboard.
For example there is this one :
https://sps24.eu/product-eng-3661-M...002TX-2DN85PA-DSC-MX150-2GB-i5-7200U-8GB.html
So between 250-300e
This website seems to be reliable, do you know it ?

So the cost of the repair is far from being half the price of a new one.

For example there is this one :
https://sps24.eu/product-eng-3661-M...002TX-2DN85PA-DSC-MX150-2GB-i5-7200U-8GB.html
So between 250-300e
This website seems to be reliable, do you know it ?
I shop in the US. Have no idea about those...

So the cost of the repair is far from being half the price of a new one.
True, ~1/3 for now.

Consider this - You've got the BIOS programmer but still need:
  1. Super IO chip (IT8988VG 1647-CXO)
  2. Get it installed.
  3. You most likely need to program it which takes a tool and software (make sure to read and backup the old chip before taking it off so you do not need to buy a saddle for it). If it does not read, I may try to find a dump.

And it might be not the only or not the actual problem.

Those repairs are pricy for a reason :)

Apr 19, 2020
Ok.. Plus I touched the MB a lot during the process, could have cause electrostatic discharge etc...

I feel like this reparation might be too hazardous for me :sweatsmile:

Is it worth to try just flashing the bios ? Just too see ?

To be honest if I could pay 250e for a new MB and get it for sure I would do it, but I am not used to this kind of websites and am afraid something goes wrong ( MB not working etc...)

You should be able To buy the kb preprogrammed. I bought few like that never had equitment To programs them myself.

And About the main bios chip you could read the file as practise, follow the guide posted here earlier. If you get a read on it backup the bios on the chip and save file To your computer, you can also post it here. Write the file i pmed you with clean me region.

Im not that familiar with error codes when using SOIC clip but you can help him if needed. Like i said earlier i gave up programming chips on the motherboard since there was always some error message, desoldering was so much easier.

Its a nice skill to learn since alot of graphics cards and laptop motherboards expecially have corrupted bios / bad bios chip problems.

EDIT: sometimes super io have cross combatibility, i remember replacing one preprogrammed and seller said it will work but was different model and it did. However for your model i can only see few dodgy sites from aliexpress who sell it and nobady has posted anything about cross combatibility or selling it preprogrammed, have you guys found?

Last edited:
Reactions: vov4ik_il
Apr 19, 2020
Hi !

I had the mod made, and followed the guide. Very clear, thanks for that

I create a backup file: https://easyupload.io/cpc6br

When I tried to write the file @lga1156_ftw sent me ( with cleared ME ), I had an error. So I unplugged everything apart from the clip and did it again. Always an error, but from a different memory adress. So I unplugged everything including the clip, and start over. This time it worked, even the = test shows no error.

But when I connect the MB to the screen or an external one, nothing still happens :(