Question Can this new ASUS/AMD x570 build be fixed or should I give up and return the parts?

jdromano

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
There has been a problem with the keyboard and mouse locking up after a newly built system goes to sleep and/or a period of inactivity. When the system wakes the windows page will appear. But the keyboard and mouse will not respond. After a few minutes it will reboot, then work until the next period of inactivity or sleep. The problem is intermittent but overall consistent. This is a new build with a clean Windows 10 install with the bios and OS at the default settings. The latest Bios, drivers and windows update was done. I am getting close to the end of the period that I can return most of the parts. So I am hoping for a solution last effort solution.

Components:
  • ASUS PRIME X570-PRO
  • AMD RYZEN 9 3700X
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB (4 x 16GB) CMK64GX4M4C3000C15
  • Corsair Force MP600 PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD
  • XFX AMD Radeon RX 5700 Video card
  • Corsair RM750 power supply
  • Razer Cynosa Croma Keyboard
  • Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse
All of the components are listed as compatible on the ASUS site for this system.
When the problem was 1st detected I contacted ASUS Customer support. I had numerous contacts with them and this is what I was directed to do this in addition to other random trouble shooting steps:
  • I completed their feedback form that detailed the equipment, software and problems
  • The response was as follows:
Restart the computer
Shutdown the computer
In Windows, Allow the device to wake up the computer for keyboard/mouse:
Device manager -> Keyboard/mouse -> Properties -> power management -> Allow this device to wake up the computer
Run Power Troubleshoot:
path: Windows -> Troubleshoot -> Power
Execute antivirus/ malware
Run WIndows Update
Unplug the PSU and plug it back in
Uninstall 3rd party software
Set all CPU/Memory to auto ratio
Go to BIOS -> Ai Tweaker/ Extreme Tweaker -> CPU Ratio -> auto or sync all
BIOS update
Clear CMOS
Replace PSU
Reinstall OS
Run Windows safe mode and check for missing drivers; if there is some, please ask what devices that the customer install (other than built in) and install the driver that is installed recently
If replacing PSU and reinstall OS doesn't work, and all troubleshoot has been done, replace the motherboard.
  • All the above steps were completed. Since virtually everything was replaced with new components, the CPU, keyboard and mouse were also replaced. Additionally I had to purchase a new Windows 10 product key since I changed the motherboard and did several clean reinstall during the communications with ASUS. The keyboard and mouse still existed, but a problem with the LAN connection dropping at the same time did not occur. I did not mention that above because that is not happening with the 2nd motherboard.
  • Finally I was told by ASUS support to replace the motherboard for a 2nd time.
  • At that point I contacted Microsoft support and worked with them to see if they could find the problem. So far the computer work great when I am using it, but intermittently it still locks up as it has since the beginning.
  • This is probably the 20th system that I have built from scratch since the 90's , but I am thinking of returning everything and giving up. I am open for constructive suggestions.

jdromano

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
That's old problem with W10, sleep modes are mostly screwed up. What happens if you use Ultimate performance without sleep ? Turning off Fast Startup in windows may help.

Thanks for your reply. I did not use Ultimate performance. But I did turn off fast start and that resolved the problem. Thank You!

Also trying to hold on to my favorite Windows 7 system, I got rusty and had to look up info on fast start. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Finally just before making the change I discovered my system did lose the Lan connection when it went to sleep with a Web page open.

It is unfortunate the ASUS and Microsoft Support never suggested that simple change that would have prevented me from having stress and frustration for 9 days. I will contact them again and let them know what I learned here. Maybe that will help our fellow users.

In closing I searched a lot of sites and saw where well meaning people were giving numerous off the mark suggestions about this type of issue. I am grateful and respect the experience of the community on this site.

Thank you again.