Can This Office Computer Be Upgraded?

stl522013

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
My friend has a Gateway DX4870-UB21P. It has an i5 2500 or 2500k, I can't remember. And 8 GB of RAM. I know that some prebuilt office computers can only supply 25w through the PCI-E slot for sound cards or wireless cards. Can a GPU be put in his PC (after upgrading the power supply of course)?

Solution
If it has a pci express slot it should, but sometimes gateway lock their BIOS preventing another GPU to be able to be used. Usually their motherboards is crap anyways, so I would try to get a good motherboard first. The 2500k is an excellent overclocker so it should be good for a while still, with the right motherboard and PSU.
If it has a pci express slot it should, but sometimes gateway lock their BIOS preventing another GPU to be able to be used. Usually their motherboards is crap anyways, so I would try to get a good motherboard first. The 2500k is an excellent overclocker so it should be good for a while still, with the right motherboard and PSU.

Solution

luisperera89

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
According to this webpage: http://www.findlaptopdriver.com/specs-dx4870-ub21p-gateway/ the motherboard has one PCI Express (3.0) x16. As bootcher says, sometimes the BIOS comes locked, so I would suggest you to try with a graphics card borrowed from a friend and try. Maybe you will need to change some parameters in the BIOS first.