[SOLVED] Can this phone jack really be changed into an ethernet jack?

Daboa

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
We just moved and when the internet guy set things up he said that this wall jack could be used to transmit ethernet from room to room if the panel were replaced. Is there any truth to this? I would love to be able to get a wired connection in the other room without having to run a 100 foot cable along my baseboards.

yacm6VC.jpg

zLvVQ67.jpg

jJrbbE3.jpg

Solution
Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing! This looks like a good option. Are powerline adapters generally reliable? (At least more comparable to Ethernet than WiFi?)
A good option? well..... if u absolute, definitely cannot run a proper CAT cable, and WIFI is not working out for you, Powerline is the next thing to TRY, there is no guaranteed, Powerline depends on the quality of your electrical system, so buy from somewhere u can return without hassle.

Lets get to the chase because seems like 95% of people who ask this question are gamers and gamers care ALOT about latency, and latency can only be fixed (1)having the proper PAID bandwidth (you do) and (2) An honest to God CAT cable, there is no other way, for GAMERS.

Daboa

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2013
Sigh. Does anyone have any clever ways of getting ethernet into the other room without running a long cable along my baseboards? I'd really prefer to not rely on wireless.

You might as well try it and see what you get. All it will cost is the costs of a couple of rj45 keystones. Make sure if this cable is looped room to room you remove any extra wires. Ethernet is point to point.

It may not work at all. You might get very lucky and it run at 1gbit. It might also work for a while and then you have to plug/unplug it.

One of those things you might as well try just because it is inexpensive and simple and maybe you get lucky.

There are systems that will run private DSL over actual phone lines but I would try powerline before you even think to go that route. They tend to be kinda expensive for something that I think only runs about 50mbps.

Huh, I didn't even know that was a thing! This looks like a good option. Are powerline adapters generally reliable? (At least more comparable to Ethernet than WiFi?)
A good option? well..... if u absolute, definitely cannot run a proper CAT cable, and WIFI is not working out for you, Powerline is the next thing to TRY, there is no guaranteed, Powerline depends on the quality of your electrical system, so buy from somewhere u can return without hassle.

Lets get to the chase because seems like 95% of people who ask this question are gamers and gamers care ALOT about latency, and latency can only be fixed (1)having the proper PAID bandwidth (you do) and (2) An honest to God CAT cable, there is no other way, for GAMERS.

Solution