[SOLVED] Can this PSU (700w) power a gigabyte 3080 ti oc?

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
This one. I just shelled out so much to order a 3080 ti, so I gotta wait until at least the next month to actually get a new PSU. My cpu is a 9400f. Can I damage the 3080 ti if I use it with the PSU? What if i underclock/undervolt it? Thanks!

Solution
Of the three specifically listed, only the ASUS is one I'd go with for a 3080. EVGA PSUs have been downgraded since they stopped having Super Flower make most of their PSUs and Gigabyte went real cheap with the manufacture for the non-Aorus branded ones.

As for other PSUs you can buy, we'd need more specific listings. Just a brand and a wattage isn't enough information as brands tend to have a wide range of options and multiple levels of quality at a large chunk of their specific wattages.

And no, no option to using this GPU with the current PSU, which should be at a recycling center, not inside a PC with a GPU. If you destroyed the GPU with this PSU and filed an RMA request, you'd literally be committing consumer fraud.
No. That psu is not really 700w, it only has 576w on the 12v rail which is more like what a good 600w can deliver. With this type of dodgy power rating I would also question the quality of the psu. An inadequate or poor quality psu can damage your gpu or whole system if it fails. I would not risk a 3080Ti on this psu. Get a high quality 850w, for example Corsair RMx850.

Reactions: Unolocogringo

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
No. That psu is not really 700w, it only has 576w on the 12v rail which is more like what a good 600w can deliver. With this type of dodgy power rating I would also question the quality of the psu. An inadequate or poor quality psu can damage your gpu or whole system if it fails. I would not risk a 3080Ti on this psu. Get a high quality 850w, for example Corsair RMx850.

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't get one now, so i guess the GPU will sit out for a bit. Can't get my hands on a corsair where I'm from.
My 850w+ options are NZXT, Cooler master, gigabyte, evga, asus rog and some LC brand. Which of these brands is good? These are all 150+ euro, with the gigabyte one being a 1000w for 250 euro.

The advertisement values on the packaging is also highly doubtful

"Platinum", "ultra high efficiency" -> it´s only a 80+ efficiency, not even bronze
"extended voltage" -> that´s really a joke, if you need 110Volt you can´t use it because the voltage range is between 170-240Volt (ok for europe, but not for US or similar)
"2x PCIe" -> a good 700W would provide 4x 6/8-Pin PCIe connectors

Thanks. Unfortunately I can't get one now, so i guess the GPU will sit out for a bit. Can't get my hands on a corsair where I'm from.
My 850w+ options are NZXT, Cooler master, gigabyte, evga, asus rog and some LC brand. Which of these brands is good? These are all 150+ euro, with the gigabyte one being a 1000w for 250 euro.
Get a tier A from here, just avoid any marked with a [1]

Article - [psucultists] PSU tier list rev. 14.8 (12/07/2021) | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

The psu is an investment in the safety and long life of the components, it is well worth investing.

From those available brands you've mentioned, I'd get an EVGA unit.

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
From those available brands you've mentioned, I'd get an EVGA unit.
EVGA 220-GA-0850-X2 - 240 euro
ASUS ROG-THOR-850P - 252 euro
GIGABYTE GP-P1000GM - 240 euro
The gigabyte seems like a better deal? So I should go for the EVGA then? Also would it be dangerous to just undervolt and underlock the GPU until I can get the PSU? Feels kinda bad to have it just lay around for weeks until I can buy a PSU...

The gigabyte seems like a better deal? So I should go for the EVGA then? Also would it be dangerous to just undervolt and underlock the GPU until I can get the PSU? Feels kinda bad to have it just lay around for weeks until I can buy a PSU...
Where do you live? Those prices seem high.

I would not use it until you have a new psu. From what I read the initial power spike when you switch on the pc will be very significant so undervolting would not help as it’s before the software has loaded.

bignastyid

Titan
The Asus is the better of the 3. And under no circumstance should you run that 3080 on that garbage Armageddon PSU.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Of the three specifically listed, only the ASUS is one I'd go with for a 3080. EVGA PSUs have been downgraded since they stopped having Super Flower make most of their PSUs and Gigabyte went real cheap with the manufacture for the non-Aorus branded ones.

As for other PSUs you can buy, we'd need more specific listings. Just a brand and a wattage isn't enough information as brands tend to have a wide range of options and multiple levels of quality at a large chunk of their specific wattages.

And no, no option to using this GPU with the current PSU, which should be at a recycling center, not inside a PC with a GPU. If you destroyed the GPU with this PSU and filed an RMA request, you'd literally be committing consumer fraud.

Solution

Bullszeye

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks for all the replies people. I've decided to go for the ASUS PSU and leave my gpu in the box until I get it. One more quick question (although slightly off topic). If i eventually decide to go for a r9 5950x or equivalent, will the same asus psu be fine?