Question Can this PSU from EVGA handle my system?

Sep 25, 2019
Hello guys, sorry if my english isn't very good, i'm from Brazil.

So, i recently bought a new computer, and i'm looking to buy a rx 5700 xt graphics card.
The problem is that the PSU i choose is a 550W from EVGA (EVGA 550W 100-N1-0550-L).

The specs of my computer are:
i5-9600k
coolermaster hyper 212
2x8gb corsair vengeance 2400mhz C16

asus prime z390-plus
4x XFAN120 from deepcool
1x ssd evo 860 1tb

From the numerous topics i have looked into, there are some people saying that a good 550w PSU can handle this system with a rx 5700 xt, but i don't know if this specific model i bought is enough.

Should i change the PSU or buy another GPU? I would have to sell my brand new PSU for a lower price then i bought and buy a better one, so i'm not very happy with this option.

Thanks!

antiglobal

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
The rated power does not mean much. You have to take a look at max current output on 12V line, and also if it has one or two 12V lines. That is the power you are interested in.
For CPU and GPU, don't look at the "TDP" because it is a fake therm made up by marketing department. You need to find online the actuall power consumption under full load.
Also take into consideration that SSDs/HDDs and fans use 12V too.

Reactions: Countess_C
Sep 25, 2019
The rated power does not mean much. You have to take a look at max current output on 12V line, and also if it has one or two 12V lines. That is the power you are interested in.
For CPU and GPU, don't look at the "TDP" because it is a fake therm made up by marketing department. You need to find online the actuall power consumption under full load.
Also take into consideration that SSDs/HDDs and fans use 12V too.

In the website of EVGA, the specs for my PSU is at follows:

Input Voltage110 - 240 VAC
AC Input8-4A
Input Frequency Range50 - 60 Hz
Efficiency75% Typical
OUTPUT
Rail+3.3V+5V+12V-12V+5Vsb
Max output24A15A43A0.3A3A
43A
120W516W3.6W15W
Total550W @ +25C

Also, the power consumption of the rx 5700 xt is 217.8W (Average), with rare peaks of 240W, under full load.
The i5-9600k, after a stress test, used an average 119W.

This means my PSU will sustain my computer when i'm playing or it will not?

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
In the website of EVGA, the specs for my PSU is at follows:

Input Voltage110 - 240 VAC
AC Input8-4A
Input Frequency Range50 - 60 Hz
Efficiency75% Typical
OUTPUT
Rail+3.3V+5V+12V-12V+5Vsb
Max output24A15A43A0.3A3A
43A
120W516W3.6W15W
Total550W @ +25C

Also, the power consumption of the rx 5700 xt is 217.8W (Average), with rare peaks of 240W, under full load.
The i5-9600k, after a stress test, used an average 119W.

This means my PSU will sustain my computer when i'm playing or it will not?
Mediocre efficiency and only able to peak 550w at 25C or less, so in reality would only give somewhere around maybe 450w, which is really pushing it.

The seasonic focus gold 600w would provide you headroom and has 7 year warranty (10 for plus model and a silent fan switch if you want, fully modular) so its effective cost is less than $10 a year. It is a very reliable make that doesnt break the bank, it has all the features that count

Not to be bias, but my FG+ runs the 5700xt smooth as butter, so I can assure you it works perfectly.

Sep 25, 2019
Mediocre efficiency and only able to peak 550w at 25C or less, so in reality would only give somewhere around maybe 450w, which is really pushing it.

The seasonic focus gold 600w would provide you headroom and has 7 year warranty (10 for plus model and a silent fan switch if you want, fully modular) so its effective cost is less than $10 a year. It is a very reliable make that doesnt break the bank, it has all the features that count

Not to be bias, but my FG+ runs the 5700xt smooth as butter, so I can assure you it works perfectly.

The temperature inside my case must be around 35C, since its really hot here in Brazil right now.
I guess i am going to try to sell my PSU and buy a better one then.

There isn't any seasonic models for sale here in Brazil, the available brands are pretty much EVGA and Corsair.

I will probably go for a EVGA 650W 80 Plus Gold (92% efficiency).

Thanks for the replies.

Does it work

Reputable
Jun 3, 2017
That really doesn't mean much. All that says is its a gold efficiency rated PSU, could still be one of many many models, eg G5, GM, G1 and G+ all fit that description, the G1 isnt the best of ideas if it is so, G2 is a much better iteration for example, should share the model number for a bit more clarification, every company has dud lines, best to check before buy.

The temperature inside my case must be around 35C, since its really hot here in Brazil right now.
I guess i am going to try to sell my PSU and buy a better one then.

There isn't any seasonic models for sale here in Brazil, the available brands are pretty much EVGA and Corsair.

Thanks for the replies.

People tend to like it when members link to stores in their region and a budget so they can help you shop for the best value PSU available to you.

I know for a FACT that EVGA and Corsair are NOT the only brands of PSU available in Brazil. Maybe the only brands in one particular store you're shopping at?

Sep 25, 2019
People tend to like it when members link to stores in their region and a budget so they can help you shop for the best value PSU available to you.

I know for a FACT that EVGA and Corsair are NOT the only brands of PSU available in Brazil. Maybe the only brands in one particular store you're shopping at?

I usually buy in https://www.pichau.com.br/hardware/fonte or https://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/fontes
These are the most popular hardware stores in Brazil.
I have to say that my budget for a PSU is R$600,00, which is around 145 usd, but in Brasil it's a lot of money.

This is the EVGA i was talking about: https://www.kabum.com.br/cgi-local/site/produtos/descricao_ofertas.cgi?codigo=92714

antiglobal

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
"Yeah man, you need at least 2 KW PSU to be safe, dude."

Don't waste your money. Use the PSU you have, it will be fine. If it turns out that it is not enough, you can always upgrade it to a more powerful one.

"Yeah man, you need at least 2 KW PSU to be safe, dude."

Don't waste your money. Use the PSU you have, it will be fine. If it turns out that it is not enough, you can always upgrade it to a more powerful one.

Not a single person in this thread has said he needed a 2kW PSU. In fact, not a single person in this thread has said that 550W is not enough.

So I'm not sure what you're going on about.

I usually buy in https://www.pichau.com.br/hardware/fonte or https://www.kabum.com.br/hardware/fontes
These are the most popular hardware stores in Brazil.
I have to say that my budget for a PSU is R$600,00, which is around 145 usd, but in Brasil it's a lot of money.

This is the EVGA i was talking about: https://www.kabum.com.br/cgi-local/site/produtos/descricao_ofertas.cgi?codigo=92714

That EVGA is a decent unit. WAY better than your old PSU, but you don't need 650W. Do they not have a 550W version available?

Edit:

Here you go....

https://www.kabum.com.br/produto/92713/fonte-evga-550w-80-plus-gold-100-gd-0550-v

And if you look at EVGA's website: https://asia.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-GD-0550-V2

You'll see it's rated at 40°C and not 25°C and has a rifle bearing fan instead of a sleeve bearing fan.

antiglobal

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
So people here are a bunch of snobs? "Oh, he has some lesser known brand PSU, he needs to change it to a properly branded one. That is what we would do. Yeah, we have multi thousand Dollar salaries, it is pocket change to us." Yeah, maybe for you.

In reality, it does not matter if his PSU is not fancy. So what if it has lower efficiency? It still delivers the rated power. It works. It uses cheaper components, so it will not last as long. Who cares? It will still last a few years. He has it, why wouldn't he use it? You don't understand that him (and me) has a few hundred Dollar monthly salary, and that 100-150$ is a lot of money to be wasted on something he already has. He is not trying to win some computer build beauty pageant.

bignastyid

Titan
So people here are a bunch of snobs? "Oh, he has some lesser known brand PSU, he needs to change it to a properly branded one. That is what we would do. Yeah, we have multi thousand Dollar salaries, it is pocket change to us." Yeah, maybe for you.

In reality, it does not matter if his PSU is not fancy. So what if it has lower efficiency? It still delivers the rated power. It works. It uses cheaper components, so it will not last as long. Who cares? It will still last a few years. He has it, why wouldn't he use it? You don't understand that him (and me) has a few hundred Dollar monthly salary, and that 100-150$ is a lot of money to be wasted on something he already has. He is not trying to win some computer build beauty pageant.

EVGA is not a lesser known brand. They are a well known brand and have alot of power supplies ranging from great to garbage.

It can only deliver it's rated power at very low temps.(stated already by other users and ignored by you)

Powering a 5700 XT it's not likely to last "years" and could potentially lead to other, more expensive problems.

It seems to me you don't understand the importance of a good power supply and are more worried about cost. I suggest getting a bit more knowledgeable on the subject before calling out people whom know alot more on the subject than yourself.

antiglobal

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
All PSUs are rated at 25 oC, it is a marketing scam, because that way they can claim higher power.

I have given him my advice, because we are in similar situation. But OP will make his choice on his own.

I am still running my computer with a 24$ LC-Power PSU for 6 years now. But you are free to buy fancy ones, to be able to sleep better at night, and to feel premium. You have multi thousand $ salary, so you can afford to.

Bye.

All PSUs are rated at 25 oC, it is a marketing scam, because that way they can claim higher power.

Good lord. No. They're not. They're not all rated at 25°C. See... you're showing right now that you don't know what you're talking about.

When a PSU is rated at 25°C, that means that it can only do it's rated power at 25°C and if temperatures are higher than that, the PSU will put out less power. This is called a "de-rating curve". The higher the temperature, the less capable the PSU output. If the PSU is rated at 40°C, like the one I linked, that means it can put out full power at temperatures at 40°C. Only if temperatures exceed 40°C and approach the maximum operating temperature of 50°C is there derate.

If your crap power supply lasted six years, lucky you.

But don't pretend to know what you're talking about and then get all pissy and offended when people tell you you're wrong.

Reactions: bignastyid