Question Can this PSU handle an RX 5700?

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
So - I'm building a new rig and I got stuck on my PSU/GPU. I currently have an Chieftec GPE-600S Eco Series PSU and I'd like to buy an RX 5700 GPU. While looking at the connectors needed for RX 5700 it's says that it takes an 8-pin and an 6-pin EPS. Now this confuses me. My current GPU is an RX 470 which only takes an 8-pin EPS and I'm not sure if my PSU has another spare 6-pin EPS connector... I should probably mention that I'm also buying a new ASUS X570-PRO Motherboard which maybe take some connectors that I don't have as I'm not sure what exactly I need (except for an 24-pin connector). Thanks for your help in advance!

Your PSU has two PCIe power connectors. But I would still suggest a new, better PSU because the one you have is absolute bottom of the line. I mean... do you REALLY want to trust a $350 graphics card to THAT?

The Chieftec GPE-600S is:

• Is NOT 80 PLUS certified. The efficiency logo on the box and label are made to look like the 80 PLUS Bronze logo, but it's not.
  • Only works at 230V input, which means they cheaped out on the primary side and used hardware half as robust as a PSU capable of a full range unit (I love how Chieftec advertises the "fixed voltage" as a "feature".)
  • Sleeve bearing fan.
  • Uses an antiquated double forward front end without DC to DC on the secondary.
  • 85°C 400V bulk cap (prone to exploding when in high temperatures and/or AC input surges)
  • All Chinese caps.

Not much "good" about it.

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
Your PSU has enough power and the right PCIE connections for the card.

8PIN (6+2) PCIe:2
Thank you, I thought the numbers between the parentheses ment that the 8pin connector was consisted out of a 6 and a 2 pin connector. I guess I can use it, but after carefully reading other replies, I now know that this PSU is basically not suited for the RX 5700. Again, thank you for clarifying the pin situation.

I'm very sorry because I'm bothering you, but I'vr got only one more question. Do you think this PSU would suffice? Again, thank you very much.

You don't need a 750W. You need a GOOD 550W~650W. If that 750W is in your budget, now see what costs that much in a 550W~650W.

High wattage does not equate to high quality in the same way that high efficiency doesn't equate to high quality.

RazorOPS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2019
You don't need a 750W. You need a GOOD 550W~650W. If that 750W is in your budget, now see what costs that much in a 550W~650W.

High wattage does not equate to high quality in the same way that high efficiency doesn't equate to high quality.
Thank you very much . Now I know not to just look at the PSUs wattage.