Can this psu run rx 480?

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
Can this psu run this system? (ITS NOT THE FIRST MODEL WITH THE BAD VOLTAGE REGULATIONS ITS THE VERSION TWO)
i5 4690 locked
rx 480 stock (wont overclock , icant anyways cause its reference)
8 gb ram
msi b85m g43
Coolermaster b500 ver2

Solution
It'll probably work perfectly fine, certainly it should. But a poor PSU can decrease the life expectancy of the rest of your hardware, which is why I always recommend a high quality one. I found a review of the B600 V2 on Tweakers.net, but we don't have one on the B500 V2 which could be an entirely different platform. With that, they use bottom-rung capacitors, so when those you would hope that a PSU protection would kick in from poorer transient response performance, but there is a chance the ripple will just slowly degrade your hardware or if it gets bad enough damage it.

kostas1127

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2015
i was running same system with a 960 Overclocked with increased voltage up to 1602 mhz on core 24/7 no problems but i need an upgrade i just want it to run it i will change the psu somewhere in the future but for now can it handle a single rx 480? or even rx 470 when it releases?

It'll probably work perfectly fine, certainly it should. But a poor PSU can decrease the life expectancy of the rest of your hardware, which is why I always recommend a high quality one. I found a review of the B600 V2 on Tweakers.net, but we don't have one on the B500 V2 which could be an entirely different platform. With that, they use bottom-rung capacitors, so when those you would hope that a PSU protection would kick in from poorer transient response performance, but there is a chance the ripple will just slowly degrade your hardware or if it gets bad enough damage it.

Solution
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,5.html

This is Guru3D's generic power supply recommendation for the series:

AMD Radeon RX 480 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 450 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.

The RS-500-ACAB-B1 (ver. 2) was made by CWT but has not been reviewed any place that i could find.