[SOLVED] Can this RAM part be repaired by soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2020
After 3 Days of changing BIOS settings and trying the solution for BSOD's, Finally, I found an issue...
So I need to know if Can this RAM part be repaired by soldering iron?

bcQS742.jpg

Solution
That is a manufacturer defect... yes you can return it, read the warranty. Micro soldering is going to cost you between $45-$75 and you will need to find someone to do it.

That is a straight-up easy repair if you have the special equipment and a little experience. :unsure:If you know nothing about micro soldering then I would suggest not doing it and practice on junk until your comfortable with removing and replacing components. The cost of the equipment needed by the way is roughly the same as paying someone to do the job and that is if you buy the cheapest things amazon has and that doesn't include the time you will spend practicing.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
That is a manufacturer defect... yes you can return it, read the warranty. Micro soldering is going to cost you between $45-$75 and you will need to find someone to do it.

That is a straight-up easy repair if you have the special equipment and a little experience. :unsure:If you know nothing about micro soldering then I would suggest not doing it and practice on junk until your comfortable with removing and replacing components. The cost of the equipment needed by the way is roughly the same as paying someone to do the job and that is if you buy the cheapest things amazon has and that doesn't include the time you will spend practicing.

Last edited:
Solution
Nov 25, 2020
got you, but I m not in the U.S.A and there is no way to return it. I just need to know if it is possible to micro soldered and work it again like new...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Simple. If you have to ask "can I do it?" then you don't have the necessary knowledge/skills/equipment to actually do it.
👆 👆
got you, but I m not in the U.S.A and there is no way to return it. I just need to know if it is possible to micro soldered and work it again like new...
Did you buy it new? If so they should honor the manufacturer's defect and do an exchange.

Maybe they bought it "as is" for potential repair?

I'm actually curious if one could solder that with just a regular soldering iron. It seems like it might be possible, or perhaps worth attempting if the alternative was just to trash it. You would obviously have to remove the heatsink first, but it seems like there might be enough space around the component where larger blobs of solder might not cause an issue. One would probably want to practice on a similar-sized component on some scrap device first though.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Maybe they bought it "as is" for potential repair?

I'm actually curious if one could solder that with just a regular soldering iron. It seems like it might be possible, or perhaps worth attempting if the alternative was just to trash it. You would obviously have to remove the heatsink first, but it seems like there might be enough space around the component where larger blobs of solder might not cause an issue. One would probably want to practice on a similar-sized component on some scrap device first though.

Yes but not with normal solder that drops blobs larger than the component.

This should be the basics

2mm or 3mm tips
63/37 soldering wire between .3mm to .6mm "Low melting point around 183 ~ 188°C "
A magnifying glass
Basic soldering knowledge and plenty of patience.

If you have never don't this before it's easier with a small butane gas micro soldering iron because there is a technique to it that takes a little time to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.