Can this setup play all modern games at Ultra / High with a good GPU ?

Spov

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Hola,

I created this setup in December:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.90 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£149.00 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£66.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£55.89 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case (£80.89 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£132.78 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £674.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available).

And since I have finished College I am looking for a good GPU to play all games at Ultra / High.

My budget is £0.99 - £300 (the cheaper the better) :D

Since I know most people will recommend the GTX series and the R9 series I want to know the difference between them and why one is better than the other. (From my research I have concluded that the GTX series is better but I need to be sure).

In addition, with my current integrated graphics - Intel HD Graphics 4600 - I can play most modern games at normal settings such as Skyrim, Max Payne, FarCry 3, Fifa and Blacklist (I think this might be because of my strong CPU because most people say the Intel HD series play's everything at low settings although its doing most games at normal for me).

My final question: Can this setup with a GPU in the price range from £0.99 - £300 play most modern games at High / Ultra ?

Best Regards and thanks for all the answers.

Solution
@ VGT:
1: Wrong! And if you're going to provide benchmark/review results at least choose one that compares the cards in question: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_280X_Direct_Cu_II_TOP/
2: AMD are better at Integrated Graphics, the OP is right about the CPU boosting performance.
3: I wouldn't say 'destroy' it's a powerful card right enough but it's not going to destroy a high calibre game like BF4.

@ Spov: Well done, I hope you passed your course with flying colours, mate.
Take your pick, the R9 280X and GTX770 are too close to call in GENERAL performance it's their other qualities that separate them.
AMD tend to be a little cheaper and at the high end have more memory, for some the deciding factors. Downsides are they do...

VGT

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
1. The difference between the GTX and the R9 series is that the GTX has generally been able to provide better FPS in most games compared to the R9 series (source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/05/31/nvidia-geforce-gtx-770-2gb-review/6)
2. The Haswell series GPU is intergrated into the CPU. Intel have always been great at this. That's all.
3. I would recommend the GTX 770, this can basically destroy any game in ultra settings. You can see its benchmarks for skyrim and other games via the source in question 1.

@ VGT:
1: Wrong! And if you're going to provide benchmark/review results at least choose one that compares the cards in question: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/R9_280X_Direct_Cu_II_TOP/
2: AMD are better at Integrated Graphics, the OP is right about the CPU boosting performance.
3: I wouldn't say 'destroy' it's a powerful card right enough but it's not going to destroy a high calibre game like BF4.

@ Spov: Well done, I hope you passed your course with flying colours, mate.
Take your pick, the R9 280X and GTX770 are too close to call in GENERAL performance it's their other qualities that separate them.
AMD tend to be a little cheaper and at the high end have more memory, for some the deciding factors. Downsides are they do burn a little more power and can run hotter and with more noise.
Nvidia have Shadowplay, PhysX and generally better AA options, run a little cooler and quieter. Downside is cost, they're just more expensive.
And yes, I'm aware of G-sync but I'm not going to change my monitor AND card to use it, I'll wait and see how this tech will be applied to existing monitors before I use it as a valid reason to recommend Nvida over AMD.
Top card for the top of your budget is the R9 290, which runs very close to the GTX780 BTW: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_290/
Places to look: Aria, Dabs, Maplins, Novatech, CCL, Overclockers, Scan, Ebuyer, Pixmania and the ever popular Amazon...Amongst others. ;)

Solution