Can this UPS work as a voltage regulator? : APC Back-UPS 600

Colorful Life

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2013
I am from India so the normal voltage is 220V. But from where I am there is low voltage for hours. Maybe around 170v (LCD TV and Refrigerator work ok but not Air Conditioner).

My PC is not connected to a UPS. So when I switch it on during brownouts, it keeps on restarting.

So if I connect it to "APC Back-UPS 600" will it work normally?

Product Page.

Input voltage range for main operations : 145v-290v

Actually someone claimed that : "UPS regulates voltage by actually using the power in the battery while the battery is slowly being charged with the low voltage from the mains. But since it's low voltage, the battery will run out more quickly than it is being charged and just shutdown. So it's not a really good solution."

How much of the above paragraph is true? Will APC Back-UPS 600 do the trick?

Edit:

How about a stabilizer. Or PSU?

Which will work best?

Solution
Generally what UPSs do in low voltage situations is just run off the battery, and they can't usually charge up while doing this. So yeah, it'll shut down.

Most good computer PSUs (those with active PFC) are able to handle voltages down to around 90V. You may want to look into getting a higher quality model.
Generally what UPSs do in low voltage situations is just run off the battery, and they can't usually charge up while doing this. So yeah, it'll shut down.

Most good computer PSUs (those with active PFC) are able to handle voltages down to around 90V. You may want to look into getting a higher quality model.

Solution