Can throttling due to high temps cause micro stuttering?

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
I have an FX 6300, no OC, but my cpu temp is currently 57 ºC at idle and probably(haven't checked yet) at least about 75º under heavy load.

Could this be causing throttling and consequently micro stuttering on my pc?

Solution
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient with any cooler if it is mounted well and functioning.
Likely you have a problem there.

Yes, a cpu will throttle if it overheats causing stuttering.

Also, a FX processor has very weak cores that can cause stuttering even when running properly.

4745454b

Titan
That's exactly what high temps do. The CPU down clocks itself, and you get stuttering as the system compensates. Once it's cooler it runs fine again until it all happens again. I wouldn't call it micro stuttering though. Are you have issues or just asking for the sake of asking?

qwizzy

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
I expect to see 10-15c. over ambient with any cooler if it is mounted well and functioning.
Likely you have a problem there.

Yes, a cpu will throttle if it overheats causing stuttering.

Also, a FX processor has very weak cores that can cause stuttering even when running properly.

Solution

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

I was asking because I was really having micro stuttering, but since I switched onto Windows 7 on an HD(the micro stuttering was happening on an SSD install) the problem is gone. I guess I should reinstall Windows 7 on my SSD since I haven't got any restore points made on that install.