Question Can tightening a motherboard standoff with another standoff in a computer case cause a short circuit?

Aug 1, 2019
Now from the title you maybe confused. I am new to computer building and my motherboard is a m-atx mobo and my case only supports my motherboard standoff wise to the point where my motherboard is missing two standoff screws in the far bottom left and right. After getting a assorted screw set and putting in the 2 standoffs missing I noticed they don't fit properly and wiggle in place, my <mod edit> assumes I need to use another standoff on the back of the standoff to tighten it into the case. So essentially I have one standoff in the case and another behind the case tightening it into the case. I'm wondering will this short circuit the motherboard or is it completely fine as is. Also if its not okay How can I remove the standoffs safley

Last edited by a moderator:

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
it wont cause a short circuit, as long as the standoffs arent touching the motherboard in any other place besides the area around the holes its perfectly fine. the area around the holes are away from any electrical tracks and are insulated, so thats why you can put metal screws into this area and not cause a short!

about the stand offs. im not too sure what you mean, could you attach a photo ?