Can Tom's Hardware solve my seemingly impossible PC issue...?

YelluhJelluh

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
This has been an ongoing issue for well over a year now that a tech in town and myself have spent a ton of time on. Here's the rundown.

Technical specs:
- Custom built PC, yes everything is plugged in correctly, as I've had it double, triple, and quadruple checked with myself and some techs in town.
- RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4GB RAM sticks)
- PSU: Not 100% sure on the name, but it's got enough wattage/voltage for everything to run fine (discussed later).
- MOBO: MSI Z87-G45 GAMING motherboard
- CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k 3.5GHz (8CPUs)
- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
- Monitors: BenQ RL2455 and BenQ GW2255... don't hate me please.
- SSD: 250GB Samsung solid state drive
- Standard, old as hell DVD player/burner...
- Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT (black)

The problem:
When I tell my computer to go into sleep mode (not hibernate...not hybrid sleep, that is disabled) it will go to sleep and wake up for a few seconds or minutes in random intervals. When I say wake up, I mean all of the keyboard, mouse, and computer and case LEDs will turn on and the hard drive is also awake, so the computer is fully woken from sleep mode.

The history:
I don't remember exactly when the issue started, so I can't really help with that part.
- I started this machine off with a torrented copy of Windows 8, didn't like a noise it was making on startup, bought a legit copy of Windows 8 and it went away. I didn't want to update to Windows 8.1 because there was something in the patch notes that got rid of a feature I like, don't remember what it is now. One day I decided to update to 8.1 just because... Didn't like it.
- Bought a new hard drive - my SSD - and did a FRESH install of Windows 8 on it. So the OS cannot possibly be the issue, and neither could the hard drive, as the old one is no longer in my machine...
- So that eliminated the OS (in my opinion). Since the problem began, I have also replaced: MOBO, GPU, PSU, CPU... so almost none of the original hardware is there. When I took it to the tech in town, they checked the RAM and PSU thinking they might be shorting and causing it to wake, this was not the case apparently. They said they changed something in the power settings after **2** months of having my PC and said they couldn't replicate the issue so it was fixed...... obviously this is not the case....
- So I tried to disable EVERYTHING from being able to wake my PC; this includes keyboard, mouse, LAN and network device, and anything else that had the ability to wake my computer from sleep mode. This did nothing to solve the problem, obviously. However, it is interesting to note that now, even after enabling my mouse and keyboard to wake my PC, neither will wake it from sleep... in fact, the ONLY thing that wakes my PC now is the power button. This all happened before I took it to the in-town tech, so it's nothing they changed.
- I went into my computer's directory and changed some values, following a guide to a solution where someone had a similar-ish issue as mine. It's irrelevant what it is, because it did nothing to help the issue.
- I have completely disabled hybrid sleep, as I've heard that can cause issues with waking. This did nothing.
- When I run the 'lastwake' command RIGHT AFTER my PC wakes in the middle of the night, it says nothing woke it... so apparently it doesn't even recognize that it's waking up.
- I've done hundreds of virus scans with tons of different programs. Nothing has ever been found...
- So all in all, ALL of the software has been completely refreshed and replaced, and almost ALL of the hardware has been replaced... and the issue still persists.

There are probably tons of things I've tried that I've left out... so if you suggest something and I tell you I've already tried it, don't be surprised. I've been working towards fixing this for the better part of a year now, and I'm no newcomer to computers...
I have *never* seen someone else have a problem like this, and that includes an entire damn year of searching the web for someone with the same issue. So how the hell does my computer have what seems to be the world's most complicated sleeping disorder???

ANY and ALL help is appreciated... I will try anything at this point. Please share this with anyone who may know anything about how to fix it.

TL;DR: computer won't stay in sleep mode, I've tried a million things and replaced ALL of the software and almost ALL of the hardware...

Good luck guys.

Have you gone into the BIOS at all. There are several settings for wakeup in the bios between usb, network, wol, com ports, etc.

I would even try reseting bios.

You should unplug different cables to troubleshoot it down further.
First unplug all ethernet cables, if it still turns on then unplug all usb cables, etc, etc.

YelluhJelluh

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Like I said in my description, I've already disabled the LAN/network from waking my PC. In my case, its the KILLER Network driver... and it's disabled.

YelluhJelluh

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

It can't be anything in the BIOS since I've....... replaced the motherboard since the problem started....
Also, I'll try the unplugging after I try other solutions first, so I can stay online.

YelluhJelluh

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Like I said... I've completely replaced the motherboard, so how could it possibly be something in the BIOS? I've also already checked the BIOS for anything that could wake my PC.

G

i cant tell if you actually did this yet from what you say, but these guys are telling you to disable "wake on LAN" in the bios. this feature, when enabled, will wake your computer from sleep whenever it detects activity from the network. have you definitely disabled it in your bios?

YelluhJelluh

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not sure I understand what you mean... It's an entirely different computer since the problem started...?