[SOLVED] Can turning off the touchscreen on a laptop save battery life?

Emil3D

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Hi, I'm shopping for a laptop and I like the specifications, features and price of this HP ENVY 17-cg0008ca which is a touchscreen and available from the HP Canada store. There is also what appears to be the same laptop but without the touchscreen available from Amazon from some seller for the same price.
A friend of my advised me not to buy the touchscreen because he believes they would last less, and touchscreen is not that useful. I searched for touch vs non touchscreen and main concerned appear to be price, battery life, glossy reflection, and weight.
Regarding the price the touchscreen for me will be actually $90 less because all laptops are on discount today and tomorrow at HP but they don't have available the non touchscreen version.
Regarding battery life I was wondering if turning off the touchscreen function from the OS will drain the battery as if it is the non touchscreen model. I'm not sure if I will find the touchscreen useful but in case I do, since the laptop will be used often at home, I also wonder if touchscreen is used only when the laptop is plugged in the power, will this reduce the overall life of the battery?

I will greatly appreciate your thoughts and input about this

Solution
  • Screen failure is quite rare outside of accidental damage. I wouldn't worry about the touchscreen failing. If you use it a lot you might scratch it up or leave wear marks. That's the only downside I can think of.
  • In my experience clients rarely use the touch screen. It's usually nothing more than a novelty on laptops and desktops. As the keyboard and mouse/touchpad are generally more comfortable to use.
  • If it's $90 cheaper with the same specs plus touchscreen. It sounds like a good deal to me. If you can accept the battery and weight tradeoff.
  • Using the touchscreen on an AC adapter won't affect the battery any more than anything else.
  • It's likely going to use 15% to 25% more battery life. Turning it off won't help...
  • Screen failure is quite rare outside of accidental damage. I wouldn't worry about the touchscreen failing. If you use it a lot you might scratch it up or leave wear marks. That's the only downside I can think of.
  • In my experience clients rarely use the touch screen. It's usually nothing more than a novelty on laptops and desktops. As the keyboard and mouse/touchpad are generally more comfortable to use.
  • If it's $90 cheaper with the same specs plus touchscreen. It sounds like a good deal to me. If you can accept the battery and weight tradeoff.
  • Using the touchscreen on an AC adapter won't affect the battery any more than anything else.
  • It's likely going to use 15% to 25% more battery life. Turning it off won't help. Because it's still running the laptop's just ignoring it.
  • It will add a little weight.

Just bear in mind. This article is four years old. Current digitizers are likely lighter and use less battery.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dont-buy-a-touch-screen-laptop

Solution

Latest posts