Can Unused Printer Cartridges Dry Up?

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Hello,

I have really old printer (canon MX870) that needs new ink cartridges and I was planning on buying 25 to last me a while. The problem is I rarely print things apart from word documents and a couple of black and white pictures. My question is If I buy 25 will the eventually dry up and become unusable?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan

Assuredly, yes. Sealed and unused...slower than an installed cartridge. But they may still go bad.

Your best way forward? Unless you really, really love that printer....get a small color laser.
How much does 25 carts cost currently?

I did that.... now I have 4 toner cartridges that according to the manufacturer, go bad too :)
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-IRC2880-Yellow-CNMGPR23Y-Category/dp/B003Q20J46

AI would just let then run out but if the machine no workie, I'm outta business until new one comes in. My plotter is still inkjet as 36" wide lasers are beyond my means. I hold off buying them now until panel said 25% or less. There's a function in the laser that tells you how much toner is left but they last so danged long I forget what button combos to push :)

USAFRet

Titan
I have a 7+ year old Dell color laser. Came with 4 carts. I've had to replace only the Black. ~4500 pages through it, strictly home use.
At my current rate, I expect another 3 or 4 years before I have to replace the other 3, and maybe the black again.

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

$40

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

Why do laser printers last longer or use up less ink? I'll probably just buy one considering it's roughly the same price.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

cuz the toner is already dry. it can't dry up any more. if anything, during extended humid seasons, it might clump up, but i've only seen that happen once.

also, $40 for ALL 25 cartridges, or PER cartridge?

Neeliyo

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012

$40 for all 25 cartridges.

USAFRet

Titan

So that would be some 3rd party carts, and not direct from the manufacturer?
I've had less than good results with 3rd party inkjet carts. Probably even less so once they sit around for a year or so.

USAFRet

Titan

So under ideal circumstances, that gets you a theoretical 5 reloads.
I'd be very surprised if it actually worked like that.

How many pages per..? Print quality?
Unknown.

But...its only $40. It might be OK, it might suck.
It might suck when you put in the 3rd set, and find they are dried up.

USAFRet

Titan

Or, as sometimes happens, it goops up the printhead, and dribbles ink all over the innards of the printer.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED

no chance anyone has invented a solvent of some kind yet, have they? maybe iso or acetone. i had a nice old HP color laserjet and i kinda regret not trying to unclog the heads. i ended up scrapping the whole $400 machine.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, I've been down that road. You don't know it is gooped up until after it dribbles all over.
Yes...isopropyl alcohol can clean the printhead, etc. BTDT.
And then you have to clean the innards of the printer, and maybe the desk/table/floor where it sits.

Last summer it wasn't especially hot and we tended to skimp on the AC ... so when I was doing lotta printing for some 180 page reports I hadda send out, had the service dude come in because I was getting smudges and jams..... he goes to the control panel and presses a few buttons and he looks up and asks "Don't ya use the AC anymore ?" .... 77%, 83%, 79%.... the machine apparently measures and records humidity. After a cleaning and more consistent use of AC, no problems.