Question Can USB PD charge while in device mode?

Oct 3, 2019
I'd like to charge my phone using USB power delivery while it's plugged into my PC. I know PD doesn't monopolize the data lines like Qualcomm Quick Charge, but can it charge while operating in device mode when my phone is talking to my PC? If so, what adapter or card would I need for my PC?

InvalidError

Titan
Yes, USB-PD on type-C can deliver up to 100W with an active data connection, which makes it hypothetically possible for monitor and GPU manufacturers to make either USB-powered monitors that also get signal from DP alt-mode or AC-powered monitors that can power and charge a laptop over USB while getting video over DP alt-mode.

Fast-charging on older standards with active data connection is technically possible but not officially supported because grounding and shielding in pre-PD cables isn't good enough to maintain reliable data connection.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019
I have found that a random hub/dock I have will do what I wanted. I can't remember anything about other than that it's a Kensington, laptop dock. I hooked the laptop USB C port to my PC and a secondary USB C port to my phone and got data from PC and PD from the dock.