Can use IDE HDDs but not SATA?

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Hi there, I'm trying to replace my old IDE HDD with a new SATA HDD but it's not working. I have the windows install disc in the DVD drive and I can't boot from it, but if I put the IDE HDD back in I can boot from the DVD. It's really confusing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Solution
nap if your old rig was a dell or hp they may have uses a cable select cable. if they did your going to have to move the jumper on your cd rom drive to master if it the only drive on the cable at the time. if the mb bios having issue try using the microsoft iso to usb tool see if you can boot from a usb stick and install windows.
nap if your old rig was a dell or hp they may have uses a cable select cable. if they did your going to have to move the jumper on your cd rom drive to master if it the only drive on the cable at the time. if the mb bios having issue try using the microsoft iso to usb tool see if you can boot from a usb stick and install windows.

Solution

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

I don't have any jumpers on the SATA drive I want to install... Is that the problem then?

Regards

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

Ahh, well I am trying to replace my IDE HDD with a SATA, so I take out the IDE HDD, put in the SATA one, put my Windows 7 Install disc into the DVD drive and I can't get it to boot from the Windows 7 disc, but if I plug my IDE HDD back in, I can boot from the Windows 7 disc. The DVD drive is on a different IDE cable because I have 2 DVD drives.

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

Okay, thanks will give that a go :)

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

It turns out that all I needed (strangely enough) was to put a jumper on the CS one and it works!! I've now added a second SATA and now creating my first raid array :)

Thanks for all of your help :)

napster100

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Heres my sweet success :) and the RAID, only 2 drives at the moment, but will expand...

As you can see I had to put jumpers on them, but even if I just wanted the one SATA drive I had to have the jumper there also.
There really nice drives too, both are same make and model... 300GB and run at fast speed of 10,000RPM :D
2ynoytd.jpg

And heres my sweet smell of success :)
2cz69hl.jpg