Question Can I use a thermal paste other than the normal ones ?

Apr 30, 2024
My dad just bought a 125g thermal paste (for 19,69 Euro) for the solar water heater on the house(there is a a cooper tube in each solar tube o the system that transfers the heat from the external tube to the liquid in the system and so on... it's a pressurized water heater solar system). It has the exact same color and texture with an Arctic MX-4(in my case) but it contains 60% metal, so it electrical conductive.

The question is since it has the same texture as a normal thermal paste and it's not as liquid as liquid metal to be hard to apply it on the surface can I safely use it instead of my thermal paste considering that I would make sure that it won't go over the edges of the CPU's heatsink and will it transfer more efficient the heat from the CPU to the cooler than my thermal paste since it contains metal in it?

My dad just bought a 125g thermal paste (for 19,69 Euro) for the solar water heater on the house(there is a a cooper tube in each solar tube o the system that transfers the heat from the external tube to the liquid in the system and so on... it's a pressurized water heater solar system). It has the exact same color and texture with an Arctic MX-4(in my case) but it contains 60% metal, so it electrical conductive.
The question is since it has the same texture as a normal thermal paste and it's not as liquid as liquid metal to be hard to apply it on the surface can I safely use it instead of my thermal paste considering that I would make sure that it won't go over the edges of the CPU's heatsink and will it transfer more efficient the heat from the CPU to the cooler than my thermal paste since it contains metal in it?
You can't rely on feeling texture, heat conducting particles are measured in microns. To work properly on CPUs they need to be very small, small enough to fill in microscopic groves. Coarser applications like that one not only that they don't need but work better with larger, metal particles. There is also question of temperature ranges and filler material.

Reactions: Vasile01Ro
Jul 16, 2024
It sounds like a bad idea to use electrically conductive paste inside a computer unless you are really sure what you are doing. It might dry out and flake off or something in future even if you are really careful during application and cause short circuits. The proper stuff is cheap. That looks like a building/ plumbing product.