Question Can using regular memory sticks in a dual memory channel cause cause blue screen?

maxfire92

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
Sometime ago, I decided to max out the RAM on my motherboard but ran into bluescreen while gaming.
At the time, not knowning what channel memory was, I only bought regular memory sticks compatible for my motherboard.
At the time, I self-concluded that I was streching my power supply too much and decided to not max out the RAM and run with 6go instead of 8go.

Since then, my PSU was replaced with a much stronger one since the original died.
This week, I decided to try to max out the memory again.
However, the bluescreen issue is exactly the same as before : 20 to 30 minutes into the games and .... bluescreen.
Back then, I ran at least 11 pass of mem86+ and found no error.
The issue seem to happen when multiple components are stressout.
Hence why bluescreen only occur while gaming.
Or why the blend test of Prime95 fail because it does stress multiple components at once.

The next thing I'll try to pinpoint the issue is : I'll try running a different configuration of 6go of memory and see if it's stable like the one I've used this far.
So instead of running my stable 6 GO config:
Channel1 : 2 GO + 1GO
Channel2 : 2 GO + 1GO

I'll try running this one and see :
Channel1 : 2 GO + 2GO
Channel2 : 2 GO + Empty slot

For reference the unstable config is :
Channel2 : 2 GO + 2GO

Anyhow, could the bluescreen be caused by the fact that I didn't buy dual channel memory sticks?
If not, what could I check next to pinpoint the issue?

Thanks !

Last edited:

maxfire92

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
@SkyNetRising Sure, I've just realized the link to old thread was broken.

Here they are :
Code:
Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    Kentsfield 65nm Technology

RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (5-6-6-18)
    4 sticks of 2 Go (PC2-6400 DDR2-800MHZ 240pin Desktop DIMM)

Motherboard
    PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia (CPU 1) 1.01
    BIOS    Brand    American Megatrends Inc.  Version    5.43

Graphics
    2048MB ATI Radeon RX550/550 Series (ATI)
    ASUS VP248QG (1080x1920@75Hz)
    ASUS VC239 (1920x1080@59Hz)
    ASUS VC239 (1920x1080@59Hz)

Storage
    465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ (SATA )
    119GB KingFast (SATA (SSD))
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00V2B0 (SATA )

Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW GBC-H20L

Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

It seem that I can't add image directly in the thread from screencast nor google drive because I get an error message. So instead, I'll put link of image here instead, sorry for the inconvenience because you'll need to open them so see the image.

CPU-Z Memory tab
CPU-Z_SPD Slot1
CPU-Z_SPD Slot2
CPU-Z_SPD Slot3
CPU-Z_SPD Slot4
CPU-Z CPU Tab

Speccy SPD view
Speccy Motherboard view
Speccy CPU view
Speccy Graphics View

The computer is an upgraded HP Pavilion Elite m9458f bought at staple many years ago.

Last edited:

maxfire92

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
You could try reducing ram frequency to 533mhz and see, how that impacts stability.
Unfortunately, this motherboard's bios doesn't have any option to change this.
However, I'll check the frequency of the 1go sticks, they might be slower than the 2go stick which could be an hint. If so, then the new 6 go layout I'm going to try would have chances of being unstable as well since it would run at higher frequency as well.
I'll keep an eye out on this and reply back.

maxfire92

Commendable
Oct 25, 2017
So it turn out that @SkyNetRising is right. ram frequency is involved in the problem.
I tried 6go setup and said I would and it is unstable as well because the frequency 800MHZ.
Channel2 : 2 GO + Emtpy

I decided to try a another 6go setup which is :
Channel2 : 1 GO + 1 GO
And this one is stable as well, but frequency is 667MHz instead of 800MHz.

So now, I need to determine why the system can't handle 800MHz ram while it should on paper.
Can the issue be caused by the fact that the memory stick are regular instead of dual channel?

Here's an image of CPU-Z with the new 6go stable setup. We can see that all number are the same except total ram amount and RAM frequency.

Latest posts